Glue for Wood tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MIKE D

Cichlid Fanatic
Jul 2, 2007
Maine
I'm going to lowe's to get all of the materials I need to bulid a Tank. The plans I have call for resorcinol waterproof glue. I cant seem to find it in any of the hardware stores in my area. Is there another glue I can use?

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
I use "TiteBond" Wood Glue. They have regular, and waterproof.. I have tried to pull apart after allowing to set up and the joint itself remained intact. It just splintered wood around joint. It was quite a doing to make it happen. If you clamp and let set, it is a very strong adhesive.

Que

I wish I was a fish I wish.
Feb 15, 2007
Southern Berkshire county, MA
Real Name
Ken
Camera Used
cell phone
I think resorcinol is a marine (as in wooden boats) product. West System epoxy is also a marine product intended to encapsulate wood to make it waterproof. If you don't reinforce epoxies used to waterproof wood though you run the risk of a crack down to the wood. Fiberglass is what is commonly used for reinforcement.

Q

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
Many marine products contain chemicals that will leach into an aquarium. If it does not say aquarium safe don't use it.

Plecosterone

We don't need no stinking badges!
Jan 25, 2007
Windsor, Ontario, Canada
home.cogeco.ca
You can use "ANY" good quality glue, even if it is not water proof. As long as the water does not contact it, it will be fine. That said, it is always better to use water proof glue around water. One of the best glues I have ever used for outside applications is Polyeurothane glue. It can be bought under different names such as Gorilla Glue. Once cured it holds great. Read the instructions because this glue, unlike most others, needs moisture to cure.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I think its Titebond III that is waterproof. Thats what I used on my plywood tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store