My goldfish is dieing. (graphic pic)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
I just come home and hes like this.. when I think about it for the past week or 2 he has been acting kind of sluggish, and not showing a HUGE interest in food like he used to...
Ive had him, another one just like him, and a little fantail in a 55 gallon for about 3 monthes....
Hes a carnival fish that has been around since last july...
I keep up with my water changes and take out about 30% when I change the water...
The other 2 fish are acting completely normal... I hope this doesnt happen to them two...
He is like bent, he seems like hes stuck that way, hes just floating at the top now. I know it seems wrong to just leave him like that but I dont have stuff to euthanize him and Im not even sure how so Im just going to leave him I guess...the way he is right now im sure he will be dead by the time I come home tonight... and I dont think I could ever "slap him against the ground" or "chop him in half"... i can not do it...
I dont have any other tanks to put him in right now.. and whatever he has theres a big chance the other fish have it to so removing him for his last few hours isnt a big deal in my opinion...
once he passes im going to do a 50% water change
Anybody have any idea what could have caused him to get bent like this and get stuck that way??

Last edited:

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
i think he might have a swimbladder issue but im no pro on illnesses

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
No i know its not swimbladder... ive had fish with swimbladder problems in the past and I know what that is...thanks though! :( im pretty bummed.. i wish it was swimbladder problems!

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
What are the params in the tank?

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
Does anybody know the cause of tuberculosis? I know its some type of bacteria.. but where does that bacteria come from?

Flaringshutter

Befriend a feeder!
Oct 17, 2006
Southern California
tuberculosis is usually a long slow process. it's possible that's the issue, but it wouldn't necessarily cause him to be bent that way. likely whatever his illness is, it's been around for a while and he's in his last few hours. that posture is classic for fish that are very close to death.
if it is tuberculosis, be aware that the same bacteria that cause fish TB also cause human TB. and you can catch TB from your fish. so be very careful and wash your hands after handling him and any fish equipment if you suspect TB.

we need a little more info on his symptoms. is he gasping for air? how does he react if you touch him?

Last edited:

Firebelly__girl

AC Members
Apr 29, 2007
tuberculosis is usually a long slow process. it's possible that's the issue, but it wouldn't necessarily cause him to be bent that way. likely whatever his illness is, it's been around for a while and he's in his last few hours. that posture is classic for fish that are very close to death.
if it is tuberculosis, be aware that the same bacteria that cause fish TB also cause human TB. and you can catch TB from your fish. so be very careful and wash your hands after handling him and any fish equipment if you suspect TB.

we need a little more info on his symptoms. is he gasping for air? how does he react if you touch him?
He is breathing heavy... but I have him in a big bowl now with an air filter.. the current from the filters seems like it was stressing him out, well if i was him it would be stressing me out because he was just moving with the current. I did see him struggle to the bottom once but he just slowly floated around and ended up at the top again. It sounds like swim bladder but i know its not... its just got me puzzled what caused this. I dont know the params on the tank because its been established so long but, do you think its going to end up effecting the other fish too? Should I do a big water change tomorrow or would it not make much of a difference?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store