Longhorn Cow Article

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Hi all, it's been awhile, and this place is VERY nicely redesigned. I promised Raven I'd pony up an article (even though it's old, I don't think it's been posted here by me). It's on my site, but I didn't even know that still worked! lol

Hi all,

Thanks for being patient while we are continually working on our longhorn cow page. This is a special page, dedicated to our favorite tropical marine species. As many know, we are trying to break some ground with the breeding of Longhorn Cows. While there aren't any successes, perhaps it's because not many people have ever paired them up, or explored the possibilities. Perhaps we'll be successful, but either way we enjoy our "pasture of cows". As we grow and learn with our "herd", we hope you'll join us along the way. Please share with us any personal experiences you may have as well.

We've found the cow to be an extremely suitable marine fish, although there is much ado about their release of toxins in the water when stressed. We have never had this occur with the longhorn cow trunkfish. On our main page, you'll see a longhorn cow, Goodyear, in with a clown trigger and picasso trigger. He's also been in the company of a panther grouper and a dragon wrasse. After a period of just over six months, the clown trigger began nipping the fins of the cow. This was during the course of the day. At feeding time, however, the cow would have no fears of taking food right from the mouth of the clown trigger. Needless to say, we pulled the clown trigger to allow Goodyear his fins!

Once, when moving tanks, we had to bag Goodyear. He wanted no part of being captured, and thrashed violently about. If you don't think a longhorn can boot-scooty across a tank, you're mistaken! The problem was that Goodyear kept slamming into the sides of the tank, with a loud thud. Now, if ever a longhorn were to be excreting toxins, I imagine this would have happened.

On another note, it has been well documented that should a longhorn cow die, it must be removed at once. The liver will excrete toxins into the water column when the longhorn cow expires, and these toxins can be undisputedly fatal to other tank inhabitants. Indeed, you will see the belly (underside) of a longhorn cow turn a deep red in color after it has died.

Longhorn cows are looters of any reeftank, and should therefore not be kept with any prized corals. At best, the longhorn may be kept in a marginal reef, but even then anything on the "reef" side is subject to the longhorn allowing it to exist! They are constantly grazing and picking live rock, and do need an abundant source to remain occupied. Anything that moves is inspected for possible nutritional value. This includes hermit crabs. Wise crabs will live, and bold crabs shall be crunched upon. The longhorn is capable of producing a nasty little nip with his razor sharp mouth. It will look like you used a hole-punch on your finger! While it's not a major wound, the scare and shock should be avoided.

One of the biggest surprises is the ability of the longhorn cow to leap far out of the water. A full cover must be provided, or you will eventually suffer a loss. We had a small opening, over which the metal halide pendant hung. Somehow, Goodyear managed to clear the hole, and the lip around the edge of the tank. Even with "adequate" preventative measures taken, cows can still manage to clear all but the most secure tanks. We now have plastic poultry netting stapled to wooded frames for any tank in which resides a potential "jumper". The netting does not block any light, and still allows an "open top" tank.

Cows love to graze, and will decimate caulerpa just like a tang! We believe it essential for the well-being of any cow to have an excess of grazing available. They are always eager to eat, and will greet you at the tank and come to recognize you as their "feeder". It is this "greed" which those fortunate enough to have had experiences with cows think of as "affection" and "personality"!! It doesn't matter what their motive, they are still very bold and unafraid of you if they are stress-free and "happy".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store