I bought my tank!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

CalBears

Go Bears!
Apr 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Now I just need to wait until I move to set it all up. I'm moving in August, so it'll be quite some time before I get anything up and running. However, I am open to suggestions on fish and a CUC to stock my tank with. I figured I can research the fishes that people suggest while I am waiting to be able to set up my tank.

I bought a 58 gallon Oceanic with Starphire front glass. I do not have a lighting system, but I am also open to suggestions. I was thinking about getting the Hagen Glo T5 lighting system. Anyone have any opinions about this lighting system?

Here are two pics of the tank that I bought.

Thoughts?

InTr4nceWeTrust

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Nice looking tank. I hope you're ditching the decorations that are in it now. Those lights don't seem efficient if you're planning to do coral. And with a canopy, you're probably better of getting a light retro.

CalBears

Go Bears!
Apr 3, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Nice looking tank. I hope you're ditching the decorations that are in it now. Those lights don't seem efficient if you're planning to do coral. And with a canopy, you're probably better of getting a light retro.

Those decorations were extra, so I opted not to get them. I'm not really liking the canopy, so I'm going to ask if I could trade it for a glass lid for the aquarium to keep the fishes from carpet surfing. Hopefully, they'll want to trade it.

I'll go check the LFS to see what lights they have that would be good for corals. I'd rather just buy the lights now than to wait on it until later.

alpha123

Return to the sea '08
Mar 18, 2008
Houston
Don't throw away the canopy. You might need it to mount lights and fans.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
Really nice tank. I have the same in my 70 gallon. Really like the overflow system and the plumbing kit that comes with it. You will like the starphire glass...makes a big difference in viewing. What sump did you get and what are your plans for stocking. If you can id your stocking plans then it is easier to help with the lighting suggestions.

InTr4nceWeTrust

AC Members
Nov 14, 2007
Unless you've got a lot of bank lying around, most of the decent lighting I've seen will need to be retro'd. The cheaper T5 lighting is usually low wattage and does not use individual reflectors. Without individual reflectors you're pretty much using expensive PCs. If you're not going to touch SPS, clams, or anemones, then you'll be perfectly fine with most PC fixtures.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store