Small undergravel filter in one corner of tank in 55g

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
I thought of adding half of my old underground filter that was for a 20g tank into the opposite corner of tank of were HOP filter is in my 55g. It would have 1 tube to provide airation. I was thinking that it would also help with the bacterial filtration alittle and be helping between water changes when powerfilter is off. Does anybody who uses undergravel filters think this is a good idea? I figured half of one is better than nothing, easy to maintain, and provides more airation through tank. Also i'll only have to move gravel in corner of tank to put filter in as fish are in tank now.
For awhile i had two powerfilters going, but thats just to much noise. My Penguin 350 Filters well. I can't afford another filtration setup right now that may work better and more quiet. Right now my water is clear and my cichlids seem healthy. I change about 40% water a week.
But it seemed the undergravel setup may help some. When i do water changes, when the powerfilters off, The airation will continue. Thanks for any help and opinions.

Last edited:

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I would run it as a RUGF, pushing back up thru the substrate. I don't think you need to worry that much about the aeration.

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
any more opinions on if this would be a good idea? Personaly i think their would be a slight benefit, but i would like more opinions from others who use U.G.f of some sort the old fashion way with an airstone.

Carla G

AC Members
Nov 17, 2007
NSW Australia
I think it is a good idea, too. Cant have too much filtrarion, and if you have two separate systems it is good insurance against one of them stuffing up. I'm a fan of undergravel filters, too, despite the fact they have become a dirty word on fish forums.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
There are many options for filters. I prefer the RUGF and sponges, saving canisters for heavy mechanical filtration.

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
When i do water changes, when the powerfilters off, The airation will continue. Thanks for any help and opinions.
Do you have extension tubes on your HOB intakes? The only time I turn off my HOBS is when I change my polyfil, or to squeeze a sponge (mechanical filtration). Otherwise they stay on. They are off for less than five minutes. If I dont need to change anything in the filter, or "clean" it stays on during the whole waterchange. I usually do a 50% pwc.

vanpudin

AC Members
Mar 17, 2007
My intake on my penguin 350 is cheap and sucks air. So after about 25% of water is out, the tube sucks air. The intake fittings are not tight enough when joined together; the plastic is thin and bends in on the crease. There is also valve in midle of intake which changes were the water is sucked in tube. Its cheap and not air tight.
Otherwise i would keep it pluged in all the time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store