Angelfish and Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes they can. But some angels carry parasites they are basically immune to that can be issues for discus.

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
Quarantine the angels and quarantine the discus seperately. After a 4-6 week quarantine time with the angels and the discus you can try putting them together but then watch to see if a problem arises. If it does then you will have to treat at the time.

Marinemom

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
actually you can qt the fish seperately or in a big enough tank together.

but you should treat the angels for parasites. as they can carry the parasites and not appear to have issues(they have built up a resistance to some) and may not show signs of infection.

remember while these two species can be kept together successfully.
that they are different in behavior..angels tend to be a bit more aggressive .
discus prefer numbers and will school.
you should keep an eye out on their behaviors and watch for timid fish(especially discus)

this mix should be attempted in larger tanks. I would recommend at least 75 gallons.

meili.harrison

Love my plecos!
I am still considering this. I would love to have a few baby discus in my mix, then upgrade the size of my tank later. I am just uncertain about angels and discus together. Half the sites out there say it is great and the other half disagree. Is it better if they all start off as juvies and grow up together?

NAUTILO

Black Diamond Singrays ...
Jun 4, 2003
Peru
Visit site
I would not keep both angels and discus in same tank.
May be it is possible in a big tank; but even in this case...
angels are too agressive.
They both live in the same space.

You are planning to add small discus?
If so, angels may kill them.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I haven't seen the agression issues unless significant size differences come into play, though individual fish personality always comes into play.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
I keep wild P.Scalare with my domestic discus..no issues. Discus can be just as aggressive at feeding time.

the key that I noticed..the discus tend to be less shy when there is a group of them.

they both will benefit from several small feedings per day.

and keep the water very clean for the young discus.
all the extra food = more waste. so small daily water changes are best but you can get by with 3 medium(20-30%) changes per week.
I still highly recommend treating the angels for parasites.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store