Help setting up a FOWLR

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

cav

wayne
Dec 11, 2006
Hull, UK.
Ok, so its decision time. I'm currently running my nano tank and a vision 180 freshwater with cichlids. I'm now looking into getting rid of my nano and making my 180 a FOWLR tank.

What help I'm looking for is what is needed to run a FOWLR tank ie powerheads, skimmer, filter (as I'm not drilling the tank). I have 2xKorlia nano and 1 x Koralia one in my nano, would they do or would I need just 2 bigger powerheads? I have a v2 skim 400, would that be too small for 180 litres?

I know I would have to strip the freshwater tank down and give it a good clean (it has never had copper treatment), what is the best way to clean it?

I have the old lighting system which is running 2 25w T8's (both marine white), is this ok for FOWLR?

As much as I love my corals it would be slightly less work running a FOWLR than a reef which would suit me just now, if I decide to go back to a reef later on I can save up and get the required lighting etc to do so.

As for LR would I still need the 1.5 kilo per gallon?

I think thats it for now, any help, especially from vision 180 owners would be greatly appreciated

Wayne

Bagshaw

AC Members
Mar 13, 2008
for a FOWLR tank you need about 1 pound per gallon.
For filtration with enough live rock you do not need a filter but a protien skimmer IMO is a must. The lighting is fine, there are no requirements for FOWLR.
you would need about 4 power heads.

Reefscape

I shoot people with a Canon
Staff member
Nov 8, 2006
Staffordshire, UK
seethroughmylens.co.uk
Real Name
Blinky
Ok, so its decision time. I'm currently running my nano tank and a vision 180 freshwater with cichlids. I'm now looking into getting rid of my nano and making my 180 a FOWLR tank.

What help I'm looking for is what is needed to run a FOWLR tank ie powerheads, skimmer, filter (as I'm not drilling the tank). I have 2xKorlia nano and 1 x Koralia one in my nano, would they do or would I need just 2 bigger powerheads? I have a v2 skim 400, would that be too small for 180 litres?

<<Power heads totalling about 1150 GPH, your V2 400 skimmer is fine for this size of tank>>

I know I would have to strip the freshwater tank down and give it a good clean (it has never had copper treatment), what is the best way to clean it?

<<A 50/50 white vinegar and water solution is a good one to use>>

I have the old lighting system which is running 2 25w T8's (both marine white), is this ok for FOWLR?

<<Lighting makes no odds as its only a FOWLR tank>>

As much as I love my corals it would be slightly less work running a FOWLR than a reef which would suit me just now, if I decide to go back to a reef later on I can save up and get the required lighting etc to do so.

As for LR would I still need the 1.5 kilo per gallon?

<<Yes, sure thing>>

I think thats it for now, any help, especially from vision 180 owners would be greatly appreciated

Wayne

Added a few comments in red :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store