Not to sure how, but I seem to have Discus eggs ?!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Fishsmurf

I'm not as cute as this....
Nov 27, 2002
Bahrain
Visit site
I have two Discus in a 55g, one is a turquoise snakeskin and the other is a pigeon blood (who is slightly stunted, I got him as a rescue fish). Along with a small school of cardinal tetra’s the only other inhabitant is an Angel who is being housed there whilst his tank finishes cycling.

About 20 mins ago the turquoise snakeskin started to lay eggs against the housing of an internal filter. So the questions I need help with are:

1) Would two different strains of Discus mate or

2) Would a female egg layer spawn eggs and lay even if there wasn’t a mate present?

3) Although incredibly unlikely does the Angel have something to answer for?

Either way I am over the moon (well apart from the fact that Clifford is definitely not Clifford and is now renamed Cliffete)…….

Thanks in advance for any assistance……. :eek:

Fishsmurf

Nov 27, 2002
Bahrain
Visit site
Ok, I now need to amend the title of the thread to "had some Discus eggs", I went back after typing the post above to find her quite contentedly eating the egss she had just spent half an hour laying....

But if anyone has any thoughts on the questions I would still appreciate the info...

Thanks again.....

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Sure, multiple strains of Discus will breed...as a matter of fact, the different species and subspecies have been interbred to the point where most captive-bred Discus are of indistinguishable subspecies or species.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
Yes to all questions except #3. Discus strains will interbreed. Egglayers will lay eggs in the absence of a member of the opposite sex but there is another female that seems to take the place of the male and will seem to fertilize the eggs. Of course the eggs are not fertile. I have not seen a fish lay eggs without at least another female present so I don't think it could be your angel.
The eggs could have been eaten for any number of reasons. Your male (If it is a male) could be infertile,your male could be immature, you could have 2 females, the pair could be too young and it often takes several tries before the pair get it right.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Deb2
......, the pair could be too young and it often takes several tries before the pair get it right.
Does 8X make it several? :(

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
You could try a wire mesh over the eggs to protect them but there is still hope. I have had some pairs try 15 times before I gave up. Sometimes it works, sometimes not. After 8 tries I would start thinking about alternatives, but I wouldn't give up until 15 (I don't know what made me pick that number, it is not magic or engraved in stone).
Just cheched out your pics again Joe. I love your tank and fish, every time I look they look better and better. I am not even sure if the pics have changed but I love the blend of colors of your fish.

Last edited:

Fishsmurf

Nov 27, 2002
Bahrain
Visit site
Thanks for all the help. I wasn't even trying to breed it just occured. Must admit I was a little freaked last night. It's a shame because just a they seem comfy enough to at least lay the eggs I am possibly going to have to break the tank down as I am moving. Still, it's a new challenge when I get to set it up again, so I will be probably be back for more advice then......

Once again thanks for all the help.... :D

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
Originally posted by Deb2
You could try a wire mesh .......
Deb2, thanks for the advice and compliments!! Guess I had better start cutting some wire mesh soon..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store