Feeding Discus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Toro Driver

AC Members
May 9, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
I'm thinking of moving from angles to discuss in the future. I feed my angles frozen brine shrimp, freeze dried blood worms and will start feeding them frozen blood worms. I also feed them live feeder guppies. Will the discus hunt and feed on the guppies as well? :rolleyes:

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
I would not feed feeder guppies to any fish unless I bred them myself. Discus are too expensive too take the chance on. Discus need a varied diet. Blood worms can be hard for discus to digest and you should only feed them occasionally. Frozen brine, esp. enriched with spirulina is good. I alternate morning feedings frozen brine, blood worms, plankton and add a few flakes. At night I feed live blackworms and a few flakes with garlic.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
I would never feed them 'store bought' feeder fish! It you raised them, as Deb says, and you know they are disease free, then ok..

Please try this! Get Tetra Color Bits! They love that stuff - even more than the frozen (thawed) Bloodworms!

Again, as Deb says - vary their diet.... Don't overfeed.. HTH :)

Toro Driver

AC Members
May 9, 2003
Minnesota
Visit site
My feeder guppies are home grown. I bought a dozen months ago and now have a surplus. The angels were stressed for a while so I had no one to eat the guppies. The guppy tank doubles as a hospital tank. With all the antibiotics is seen, my guppies are disease free.

Deb2

AC Members
Jun 4, 2002
Folsom, CA
Visit site
As long as you are breeding them yourself then discus will love guppy fry.

Awestralian

Awesome...
May 22, 2003
Sydney, Australia
au.geocities.com
Originally posted by 80gJoe
I would never feed them 'store bought' feeder fish! It you raised them, as Deb says, and you know they are disease free, then ok..

Please try this! Get Tetra Color Bits! They love that stuff - even more than the frozen (thawed) Bloodworms!

Again, as Deb says - vary their diet.... Don't overfeed.. HTH :)
Mine wont touch the stuff!
They love frozen blood worms, and i give them a frozen 'discus dinner' pack with lots of good stuff to help keep em healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store