You ever feel like your clown is missing a few marbles?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
I fed my clowns flake food today. I try to get most of it in the water column (because clowns have a hard time getting the ones on top) and not floating but there is always those few stray pieces. My clowns totally ignored the easy pieces and kept trying to get the floating ones. My larger clown even spit out a piece in the column for one that was floating on the top near by. As if it makes a difference!

So in the end I ended up with clowns that were a little more hungry than usual and a fat goby who isn't one to miss an opportunity.

Anyone else have any clown stories to share?

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
I know what you mean, usually I tell them to stop clowin' around ;)

I have 5 young clowns and they don't care where you put the food. I've noticed they like the smaller flakes and will spit back or ignore the larger ones. You should try feeding with a turkey baster, just soak the flakes in water for a few seconds, suck it all up, and inject it into the column.

Off topic, but what flake brand are you feeding them? Mine are on Formula One with Hikari Marine -S- pellet food mixed in.

wantvws

AC Members
Jul 15, 2007
Waynesboro, VA
I know what you mean, usually I tell them to stop clowin' around ;)
Ba dum bum. (cymbal crash):)
My clowns tend to hang out right at the top...I drop bits of Cyclopeeze granules in to them as a treat...sometimes I think I could hand feed them. I have reached in and touched one a couple of times...didn't seem to bother him at all. Weird little critters....
Robbie

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
Yup, my bw clowns are fairly small so they will spit out the larger pieces. They are too lazy to chew it or try to tear it apart.

As for the flake food, its Wardley Total Color Marine. My goby loves it so I make sure to include it on the daily menu. My clowns prefer my formula 1 pellets. However it takes a while to prepare because I have to create perfect bit size pieces that will fit in their mouth. They will ignore it if it is too big or too small.

I really love the pellets. I raised my older clown from 1.2" to the big 2.8" it is now with the pellets. She is a very very healthy clown with a deep orange color and thick black fin tips.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
when i put brine shrimp in my clown eats like it wants to explode. he keeps one eating when he is so full he spits them out alive...also my clown dosent like my hand in the tank at all.

FeatherDuster

AC Members
Mar 24, 2007
when i put brine shrimp in my clown eats like it wants to explode. he keeps one eating when he is so full he spits them out alive...also my clown dosent like my hand in the tank at all.
lol thats funny to picture. "Must... eat.... shrimp...."

My clowns are still too young and new to develop a hatred for things in "their" spot.

They are easily spooked. I moved my mag float to clean the tank and all of sudden... POOF! They were gone. MagFloat=1 Clownfish=0 Took them a good 5mins to come out of hiding.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Since my anemone died, my Maroon clown keeps tring to feed the Xenia. It's quite amusing to watch her keep shoving bits in and when it floats off she'll grab it and keep trying to force feed!!! She'll keep at until one of the other fish eats the piece of food and she has nothing left to feed it:wall:

lanimret

AC Members
Apr 1, 2008
I could not get my 2 ocellaris to eat anything at first, they spit it all out. I found eventually that they loved frozen plankton, so I've been feeding that ever since. The filter feeders and corals like it too.

Once they got used to eating that though, they will now eat the pellets some and the frozen mysis happily.

jencheung

AC Members
Jan 22, 2007
Cambridge, MA
My clowns are hysterical! They're currently in a system with just some fake corals in it (though once the Nanocube is ready for them they'll be relocated to the reef system) and from day 1 they've hosted the little glass thermometer. They would wiggle themselves in between the thermometer and the side of the tank to sleep at night, sometimes horizontally and sometimes one would flip so he was head-down-tail-up. A year later they've grown too big to do that and regularly pull the thermometer off of the side so that it's floating around like a buoy so that they can rub themselves on it and snuggle up to it. I've never had them try to feed the thing but that's probably because they're too busy gulping down anything that hits the water. I even have to target feed the inverts in the tank with a turkey baster and they'll attack the side of the turkey baster since it's clear and they can see the food in it!

My big girl did bite me once when I was trying to put the thermometer back to where I could actually see it so now I definitely jerk my hand out whenever they start getting too close - I can't believe I'm admitting that I'm afraid of my clownfish! But the bite really did hurt! But of course I love them...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store