Just got my fuge!!!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
I just received my Aquafuge and will be setting it up next week. A couple of questions.

I have 2 small Bio-wheels on my Penguin and a large Bio-wheel on my Magnum 250. I want to eliminate the large Bio-wheel but keep the Magnum running. I run a Prizm skimmer and it pulls out a lot of sludge.
Do you think it will be safe or will I get an amm. spike?

75 gal tank with 20 lbs live rock. I have about 10 lbs. dry reef rock and about 50-60 lbs lace rock. Plus 2 coral skeletons that total about 7 lbs.
It's been up since October of last year so shouldn't some of the reef rock and skeletons be "live"
And is lace rock porous enough to become "live". Most pieces have coralline growth on them.

It's a FOWLR tank.

Scott

Riverserver

i r 2pro4u
Apr 13, 2007
Bio-wheels themselves are somewhat ineffective when it comes to removing nitrates from the water, you probably will get a mini cycle, but nothing serious. Do you have room to let your fuge establish itself before you remove the large Bio-Wheel?

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
No. Besides wanting to remove the wheels, I don't have the room anyways. I'm hoping that all the bacteria on the rock, skimming, keeping the filters going, 1 with Nitrate Sponge and the other with Purigen should keep things stable. We'll see.

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
is the fuge large enough to float the wheels in it for a short period?
I'd guess the rock work in the tank prob has most of the bacteria on it.

Boltster

AC Members
Dec 4, 2007
is the fuge large enough to float the wheels in it for a short period?
I'd guess the rock work in the tank prob has most of the bacteria on it.

Yes. I actually thought about doing that for a while. Just to make sure the fuge is stable first.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store