What do you recommend?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
I'm looking for recommendations for a bottom dweller(s) for my 65g community tank. Here are my requirements:
  • Compatible with current inhabitants (fish, shrimp and plants) - see my sig for what I have
  • Must remain under 4", maybe up to 5"
  • Should be a good beginner fish
  • Prefer species which doesn't require a group; prefer to get just 1 to 3
I like some of the sharks (rainbow, red-tailed black) but I hear there are behavioral problem with them. I also really like the zebra pleco but they're out of my price range.

I do plan on adding some more top dwellers to the tank also; don't know what yet but thinking about some rainbows.

My substrate is black Fluorite.

So what would you recommend?

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
there are smaller plecos like green phantoms (8" max) that are cool. personally, you cant go wrong with cories. they are totally peaceful and very social. great little fish with lots of personality and entertainment value

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Cories generally prefer groups, so they might not work if the OP is going going to get 1-3 of them. I'd prefer seeing cories in groups of at least 6. There are several plecos that would fit the bill, bristlenose and rubberlip are the first two that come to mind. Talking catfish, such as the striped or spotted rafaels would also work, but they tend to be nocturnal so you don't see much of them. They might present problems with the shrimp though, catfish tend to inhale anything near enough that fits in their mouths.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
I have thought about corys but I believe most of them prefer to be in groups of 6 or more. So I'd prefer something else. But if there's nothing else that's works I'll get some corys.

I'll have to check out those rafaels. Never heard of those before.

Last edited:

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Kuhli loaches.;) Safe for all invertebrates.
Darn you Lupin, you and your loaches! :) I was about to say that! :lipssealedsmilie:

But seriously, a group of 10 Kuhlis is good. All you need to know is 4 words: Plenty of hiding places.
(I think I'm addicted to Kuhli Loaches, as soon as I read the first post, I thought, Kuhlis!)

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
I'll have to check out those rafaels. Never heard of those before.
You'll have to avoid them if you want your neons and shrimps intact.:grinno: Platydoras costatus is the scientific name.

NickD

AC Members
May 2, 2008
Maryland, USA
The Khulis look interesting but they're noctunal. What's the point if we don't get to see them?

The catfish and plecos sound like they might eat my shrimp.

I guess I was really hoping someone would point out a shark that would work.

Looks like it's probably going to be corys then. What are some good ones? If I just want to do about 6 of them can I mix and match varieties or should they be all the same?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store