best way to keep farlowellas from getting stuck in powerhead intake?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
just use pantyhose? or what?

I pulled one out yesterday who was dead, and noticed another this morning.. pulled him out only to find that he's alive..

don't want to loose more fish to this thing.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Pantyhose or a sponge over the intake should work. Are they babies? I would think full grown healthy fish would be strong enough to keep away.

0live

128 mb tempura
Mar 14, 2008
area code 401
I think that they like to sit on the co2 hose that feeds into the intake.. then they get too close and get sucked in.

they just get stuck in the elbow of the intake and can't get out..

I think I'll try to bring the flow down a notch and hope that works, as I'm out of pantyhose at the moment.

vanillarum

AC Members
Jan 4, 2008
Mass.
How 'bout a filter media mesh bag ? Good luck. No pantyhose-a fate worse than death !!

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Surely healthy farlowellas wouldn't get sucked that easily. I have one here myself and though its tail tends to be pulled, it manages to escape the sucking movement. Are you sure your farlowella hasn't been acting differently?

Apr 2, 2002
New York
Sponge the intake.

Farlos have to be one of the dumbest fish I have kept. I have 3 in my high light 50. They love sitting atop or attached to the corkscrew vals. When I do the 505 wc on the tank the water goes down, they are above the surface and they just stay there. if I didn't refill the tank they would go crisp before moving I think.

And I figured out why they have those pointy snouts- its so you can pry them off the glass when you need to net them :p

cheeseb0y

AC Members
Jan 29, 2005
Neither my 6" F. acus or my 5" F. gracilis seem to have any issues with any of my intakes. Maybe i'm lucky.

Lots of good suggestions, hope you have better luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store