Green Spotted Puffer

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
I want to get him a friend. I wanted to know how many GSP's would go in a 10 gallon tank without going after eachother. The tank is planted and has a sand substrate and a cave for him (Sarge) to hide in. What do ya'll think?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Adult GSPs require aq minimum of 30g ea & that's without any tank mates. I'd consider upgrading & raising the SG to close to marine conditions as it grows, before adding any tank mates. Then if the tank is large enough, you might add a few damselfish or a tomato clownfish.
See: GSPs

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
He's bored all the time. Ive got a cave, and a bridge for him to play in. He is definately still a baby and he is in brackish water. I rescued him from a store who had him in fresh water and he since recovered nicely. He plays in the bubbles from the filter, chases the shrimp and eats his snails and blood worms, but still just looks out the glass at the front or back of the tank. I just dont want him to get bored or lonely. Although there are 3 ghost shrimp in with him for food he plays tag with now and then right before he eats them. But thank you for your reply and I will definately be upgrading him

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
He may need more decor to investigate then. Check out some of my tanks.

Amante_di_Betta

Anubias Harlet
May 21, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Real Name
Gary
All the plants in his tank are alive. Hes been in there for about 3 weeks. Any plants you would suggest or anything?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
What's the SG? Are you using marine salt? Most plants won't live in the SG required for a GSP. At this point, he should be at around 1.006-1.010. How big is he?

UpstateNYer

AC Members
Apr 10, 2008
Antwerp, NY 13608
Real Name
Ric Letson
Pufferpunk,

Sarge is ~2 inches in length.

As we don't know how long he was kept in freshwater and didn't want to shock him I planned on increasing the salinity slowly. We don't have a refractometer / hygrometer right now so I've been kind of "fudging" it. We're using Oceanic's Natural Sea Salt Mix and have been using around 1Tbsp/gal for a while now which should be a SG around 1.008. Topping off with fresh dechlorinated water to counter evaporation.

(I started him out on 2tsp/gal which should have been around 1.005-1.006)

So I guess his water would be.. lightly brackish

Ric

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
It roughly takes about a cup of marine salt/5g, to raise the SG .005.

At 2", he definately needs to be upgraded. Have you read my ARTICLE?

kay-bee

AC Members
Sep 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
You'll want to invest in a refractometer to get accurate salinity readings. With the amount of salt you've used your tank's SG is probably closer to 1.001-1.002.

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Since this is a BW fish, exact SG isn't all that imoportant. You might want to calibrate a hydrometer with a refractometer though, although a refractometer can be off by quite a bit if it isn't calibrated with a known SG solution.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store