r/o versus distilled water

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
What's the difference between r/o (which I think is the same as so-called "purified water", and distilled water?

Is distilled water equally good for marine tanks...or is it sort of in between tap and r/o?

Would some type of treatment (eg, Amquel) still be needed for distilled water?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
Good morning 105man!

Both right. Kind of. Depends on where you get them. Can't get more pure than glass distilled water, but that's the key issue. I have no idea how they distill the stuff in stores, and copper may be a problem. Distilled means that it's been turned to steam and recondensed, leaving the bad stuff behind, by the way.

RO actually means really, really finely filtered. It's passed through a membrane with little tiny holes that stop just about everything that's not water. Normally pre-filtered to get sediment and carbon filtered as well. Some ions get through, so some purists use a RO-DI (de-ionization) system to make it even purer.

Assuming it's a good unit, RO water does not need to be treated. Add salt, stir for hours to days to equilibrate O2 and C02 and add to tank.

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
thanks, and thanks for the welcome!

in grocery stores they sell gallons of "purified water" and also gallons of "distilled water"...my wife actually uses either of the two to raise orchids.

was thinking of using one or other at least for part of my water changes...didn't know which was better or if both about the same...they are from reputable water bottlers, like Poland Spring, Deer Park.

also, wasn't sure whether if I use them I should still add Amquel, or maybe a lower dose of Amquel

kreblak

FDA approval pending
Mar 13, 2003
I prefer RO water myself, though store bought distilled water works just fine, IME.

Corax

Temporarily risen from the dead..
Nov 14, 2001
I would avoid the store bought distillwed water because most of the time, commercial distillaries are not going to use glass (expensive).. They'll use copper, and over time the copper will begin leeching into the water. Once that copper gets into your tank, it doesn't come back out.

When I first started keeping salties, I bought my water at the store. This quickly became both annoying and expensive. You can pick up a Kent 24gpd RO unit for around $100 if you look in the classified section of most fish boards. Ebay is also a good source for inexpensive RO units.

Oh and I use pure, untreated RO water for straight top offs. No Amquel, Prime or any of that other junk goes in my tank. Now ya know =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store