How do I know what "kind" of goldie I have?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tootercat

Newbie but getting smarter
May 28, 2006
Sacramento CA
OMG!:eek3: Who knew that there were so many kinds of goldies???

I have been posting my fingers off today.....

I started in "general discussion" because I had a sick goldie and added melafix.....and didn't know wherelse to post..... then after getting responses in the General Discussion forum I got my water tested at a respectable place. (what do you call places that sell fish aquariums etc...) They gave me some advise with respect to restoring the water and speculated that Oly would get better...I think he was to far gone....

Now I have a goldie who's been orphaned because his tankmate died....I'm still in shock and grief over losing him/her. It all happened so fast....I didn't know anything was really wrong until this morning and by this afternoon he died. I don't NOT want do the right thing with caring for my aquarium properly in future.

I will NEVER go to PetStupid for fish or advice anymore.

I have questions:

What is the REAL rule of thumb for tank size and goldfish? And that being said how do I know what kind of goldie I have? And it seems that for different kinds different rules apply.

What kind of new tankmate would be good for my orphan....I believe he is missing his buddy....( I will make sure he is not also sick b4 adopting although he is swimming around pretty "happily" now that he isn't babysitting his buddy.

Is a betta okay? Or is that too small and vulnerable to being a sanck...(god forbid) What about a black moor?

I saw the thread about sexing a goldie. Does that apply to all kinds? And can you only tell at 2-3 years or do the determing marks stay forever?

I appreciate having this site to come to ...:)
Hope I haven't asked too many questions at one time....Thanks,
Pam

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
a basic guideline would be 20-30g for the first goldfish, and 10-15g for each additional. so that would be 1-2 goldfish for a 30g, 3-4 for a 55g, 5-6 for a 75, etc. whether you choose the high end or the low end depends upon the filtration you have for the tank and the level of attention you are willing to give it.

this is of course for fancy (round-bodied) goldfish, not pond goldies (torpedo-shaped). pond fish move much faster, eat better, and get larger than fancy goldfish. they should not be kept together, and pond fish have much bigger tank size requirements.

don't add a betta with your goldfish. bettas are tropical and have different needs than temperate-water goldies.

as far as sexing, i am not 100% sure, but i imagine that the gill spots would either appear at age 2-3 and stay there from then on or keep reappearing whenever the fish is in breeding mode. i don't think they show up once and then never happen again.

as far as what kind you have, a picture would help.

tootercat

May 28, 2006
Sacramento CA
Her are pics I hope...so do I have a comet???

thanks,
Pam

Jose or Josie A.jpg Jose or Josie III B.jpg

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Your have a comet goldfish the shape of the head makes me want to say that it is a female but the picture quality is not good enough to be sure.

Round bodied golds (fancy's) have the split tail mutation (2 dorsal fins). This is called a fan-tail, veil-tail, and several other names. This greatly hampers there swimming ability and makes them very slow in comparison to the single tailed (more wild type).

As for sexing a goldfish once they reach sexual maturity they always show the marks.

Please don't keep a betta with Goldfish. Betta's do not do well with golds.

I did a quick search of all of your posts and have one major thing to say.

Please do some basic tank maintenance. You have just lost a lot of fish because of very poor water quality. This is because you did not do water changes. A low PH and Ammonia are just one part of the picture I imagine your Nitrates are off the chart. You have what is called "Old Tank Syndrome" which has weakened the immune system of all of your fish and killed some outright.

This is the single most critical part of taking care of fish. Please do at least a 50% water change with a gravel vacuum every week. If you live in any municipal system you will have to add dechlorinator to the water. Since you have a goldfish, your 30 gallon tank can hold only one comet for their expected life of 20-30 years. Any more than one and it is pretty much just a slow painful death sentence.
As you have not been doing water changes it is best to start off very slow. 10% every day for the next 2 weeks. This will allow your sick fish to adapt to the better water conditions.

tootercat

May 28, 2006
Sacramento CA
Yes I now know that I have been negligent.....I have been chastised and I have paid the worst price for negligence and ignorance....

The owner of the "Aquarium" I went to today told me to do a 25% water change and to vacuum the gravel well. I have done that.

Are comets also the goldfish traditionally sold as "feeder fish"? Arrgggh I hate that term.

And so I guess Jose is really Josie....Based on the thread on sexing goldfish I also came to the conclusion as you did.

There are no tuberoles (sp?) on the gills.

I also removed a live plant from the aquarium...not sure if that had anything to do with anything but hubby and I both think that things went even further downhill when we added the plant.

I will now be religious about doing water changes. At what point if ever is it correct to do a complete water change? I will also take a sample of water every change to check levels at the Aquarium......Or is it pretty easy to "read" the results with a test kit at home?

We do not have a place to put a larger aquarium...is Josie destined to be a solitary fish because of her potential growth...it has taken 5 years for her to get to her 5-6 inches. Do you include the tail with the length measurement?

Isn't there something???

Sorry She just looks so lonely..she and her bud (who I think was another female) liked to swim together, sleep together, and eat together.

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Goldfish are very social creature and do better with a friend the the tank. As she is very small for her age (mine of the same age is closer to 9 inches -- you measure without the tail) she may have be a stunted form lack of space. You should also if your not already feed her pellets. Goldfish really don't do very well on flakes. They just can't get enough food before it dissolves into the water.

Comets are sold as feeder fish. As Flaringshutter and I can attest they are often very beautiful. I have one little lady in my tank now who is eight years old. She is about 10 inches long, white with long finnage. I got her out of a feeder tank. I also picked up some koi out of a feeder tank a few years back.

Testing your tank is really quite easy to do as long as you are not color blind.

The plant might have brought in a new species of bacteria and changed the ecology of your tank. With the fish already stressed because of the poor water condition it could be the "straw that broke the camels back".

Last edited:

tootercat

May 28, 2006
Sacramento CA
Hey V thanks for the info...so do "stunted" goldies have a shorter lifespan???

So far she seems to be pretty hardy all things considered. I'm actually quite pleased that she is a she.

Back to my other question..if she isn't going to be a big girl at this point what can I get her as a playmate....?

I will get a test kit...hubby can help me decipher information.

Speaking of hubby..he is tilting his head at the idea that these fish are measured without tail length included...he is a fisherman and has measured from tip to tip...any enlightenment?

tc

thanks again
Pam

THE V

Hiding from my children
Nov 25, 2007
Washington
Real Name
Mr. Incognito
Fishermen always measure from tip to tip and then add in another 15% for every year since the fish was caught. An eight inch rainbow caught on a worm becomes a 28" monster caught on a dry fly in 10 years or so. Of course the camera was broken so they sadly don't have a picture of it.

In aquarium fish finnage can vary because of selective breeding. Your comet has the more wild type of short fins. I have a mixture of short and long finned types. I have one fish that has a 5" body and 3.5" dorsal fins. Another is more like yours with a 8" body and 1.5" fins. You measure the body only to be able to accurately describe them.

I also would not get her another goldfish as a playmate. In order to add another comet you will need to have a larger tank. 55gallon minimum. If you want you can add in one mystery snail as a cleanup crew. I kept one once for 5 years in with my golds.

Derringer

... overstock this!
Apr 8, 2007
Indiana
Hope this one makes it ... it doesnt look very healthy. :(

tootercat

May 28, 2006
Sacramento CA
Derringer..you mean the one I attached pics of? Why do you say that? :eek3:

Please take into consideration that I may not have taken the best pics and they seemed not to have translated well here.

This fish seems to be doing fine and I am in the process of testing the parameters of my tank now....

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store