Moving a 10 gallon tank? Will it stay cycled?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
I should be getting 3 new bettas around June 1st or so, that I'm going to put in the 10 gallon divided tank. Two or three weeks later we are getting new carpet and so the tank would have to be moved to the bathroom for the day until the carpeting is done.

I was planning on using bio-spira to cycle the tank when I get the bettas. How can I go about not screwing up the cycle and moving the tank that day? Or will it get screwed up no matter what? Let me know if this works:

1. Drain out most of the water into a couple buckets until there's just enough left in the tank for the fish to swim around in.
2. Put silk plants in one of the buckets so they stay wet. It's going to be a bare-bottom tank so no substrate.
3. I have a penguin 100 bio-wheel filter for the tank. Take out the filter cartridge and biowheel, place them in one of the buckets.
4. Carry the tank with the left over water and bettas into the bathroom where I could leave the tank while being recarpted. Place buckets of water in there too.
5. Take the fishies out of tank and put them in tupperware before refilling so they don't get splashed around. Fill the tank back up with the buckets of water and replace everything - reheat the water in microwave prior to filling it.

Now, question is, keeping the bettas warm in the bit of water - would the 50 watt heater still work okay? I'm worried about leaving too much water in and the tank breaking during transport. Also, would the buckets of water need to be kept warm for the bacteria to survive?

Would this keep all necessary bacteria alive and the tank would stay cycled the same before and after all of this? Should I just forget using the bio-spira/cycling and wait until all of this is completed, and just do daily water changes until then?

Any other suggestions?

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Does your bathroom have electric sockets? If so, buy an electrical strip (The ones who have 6 sockets attached to a single socket) and just set up the tank in the bathroom. It would be a whole lot easier and less stressful.

If not, then just leave it at a friend's house and just make sure the bettas get fed.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
Does your bathroom have electric sockets? If so, buy an electrical strip (The ones who have 6 sockets attached to a single socket) and just set up the tank in the bathroom. It would be a whole lot easier and less stressful.

If not, then just leave it at a friend's house and just make sure the bettas get fed.
Hehe, not to be rude or anything but did you read my post? I'm recarpeting..it'll just be for half the day...and I wouldn't be able to move the whole tank cuz I'd be afraid it would break with all the water pressure sloshing around, plus i mean, 80 pounds!!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I'm a wee bit confused. Why can't you just get the fish into a tupperware, drain tank, relocate it somewhere temporarily, insert fish, turn everything on, and then repeat in reverse when carpeting is done. Its only a 10 G so there must be somewhere near a socket you can put it no ?

In any event as long as you can keep your filter media in tank water, and perhaps run an airstone as well, it should be fine.

Run an airstone in with your fish as well as a heater and they'll be fine.

In any event, your main issue is going to be whether the biospira even works for you; there's a fair chance you'll be dealing with an uncycled tank notwithstanding adding this.

edit : why not get like a 10G tupperware container and put everything in there for the half a day...or a 10G glass container :D

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
I wouldn't recommend moving any tank with water in it. For the couple of days that are involved I'd wait to get the fish.

You won't have much of a cycle going to lose. Especially with the cost of bio-spira, it is better to wait.

Stara'lfur

AC Members
May 19, 2008
Southern Cali
I wouldn't recommend moving any tank with water in it. For the couple of days that are involved I'd wait to get the fish.

You won't have much of a cycle going to lose. Especially with the cost of bio-spira, it is better to wait.
My fish are arriving from Thaliand around June 1st, I can't do anything about when I get the fish. =/

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Just put them in large bowls and do water changes. Don't waste the bio-spira, which you don't really need.

DAVIDFBT

Extinct? Since when?
Feb 3, 2008
Great Lakes, Illinois
Real Name
Definitely not David
Bettas can survive without heat and filtration for 1/2 a day. Just set up 3 buckets or bowls with water, put the fish in the bowls, and then add the filter media and bio-wheel to one bowl to keep the bacteria alive. Bacteria does not have to be kept warm to survive, how do you think coldwater setups are cycled? ;)

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
why not just set the tank up on the kitchen counter... put the fish and whatever water you can fit in bowls/buckets till the tank is empty.. move the tank.. add fish and water back into the tank.. plug it in and then just move it back whenever the room is ready for them...

its only a 10g tank.. it should take you like 15 minutes to move it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store