Stesscoat making skimmer go nuts

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

105man

AC Members
Aug 27, 2003
Visit site
I just added a fish to my tank and put some Stresscoat in, which is causing my skimmer to foam excessively. What would you suggest?

I understand it's the aloe vera that causes it...I guess it's in Stresscoat to replicate lost slime due to stress.

Also, is there something I could use in the future to help fish acclimate without making skimmer go nuts?

mogurnda

vaguely present
Apr 29, 2003
DC
Visit site
The simple solution is to not use stresscoat. Acclimate the fish slowly and carefully, and it should be fine.

How did you acclimate the fish?

The stuff has been around a long time, but I've never seen any evidence that it actually does anything.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
Lol...I put Melafix in my tank once when I still ran a skimmer and I had to stand by the damned thing for 20 minutes while it foamed out of control.

Kit Walker

AC Members
Jun 9, 2002
Australia
Visit site
The simplest solution I've found is to turn the skimmer off temporarily. I had the same problem whenever I added Reef Trace. So whenever I add it I turn the skimmer off for half the day to give the corals and inverts a chance to absorb some of the trace elements.

Guy W

AC Members
Apr 8, 2002
Naples, FL
Most medications and additives will cause your skimmer to go nuts. Perhaps turning off the skimmer for a day and running carbon will help clear it out, then adjust the skimmer to run dryer for a few days and monitor it.

Melafix did this to me once.

Guy

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store