baby midas and africans?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sir

Please, can I have some more?
Nov 21, 2007
can a baby midas cichlid survive in a 75 with some africans?

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
can a baby midas cichlid survive in a 75 with some africans?
No. Keep them separated. I do not recommend mixing Africans with CA/SA cichlids. Their temperament and other requirements are far different. How big is the Midas cichlid? Keep it in a 55g on its own. Midas can be belligerent.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
The Midas may survive.... but the Africans may not. Midas get quite a bit bigger then the African cichlids (well most of em anyway) and they are very aggressive..I would not recommend it either. The Midas would most likely take those guys out quickly...even as a baby.:grinyes:

sg1

AC Members
Dec 23, 2007
I have a 2 inch Midas in a 125G tank with 14 full grown Mbuna 5-6 inches (african cichlids) a 14 inch Red Devil, 2 Jack Dempseys, a leperinus, a green terror, a 15 inch black shark, a red tail shark, and 3 convicts, and he is just fine. Midas are tough customers, he should be just fine. Some people feel you shouldnt mix CA/SA cichlids with african cichlids, In my personal opinion, this is a very archaic and dated way of thinking and or fishkeeping. Several people on this website myself included have been sucessfully mixing CA/SA and african cichlids for years.

terror spawnin

AC Members
Jun 2, 2007
I have a 2 inch Midas in a 125G tank with 14 full grown Mbuna 5-6 inches (african cichlids) a 14 inch Red Devil, 2 Jack Dempseys, a leperinus, a green terror, a 15 inch black shark, a red tail shark, and 3 convicts, and he is just fine. Midas are tough customers, he should be just fine. Some people feel you shouldnt mix CA/SA cichlids with african cichlids, In my personal opinion, this is a very archaic and dated way of thinking and or fishkeeping. Several people on this website myself included have been sucessfully mixing CA/SA and african cichlids for years.
There are few africans that tollerate the lower ph and softer water that sa's thrive in. Most are the malawi's and the western region fish like the jewels. Keeping these fish together seems to work well. Just don't try to add a flowerhorn at any size. Aside from trying to eat what they can fit in their mouth..they seem to kill fish just because they can.

Tongue33

AC Members
Dec 4, 2006
There are few africans that tollerate the lower ph and softer water that sa's thrive in. Most are the malawi's and the western region fish like the jewels. Keeping these fish together seems to work well. Just don't try to add a flowerhorn at any size. Aside from trying to eat what they can fit in their mouth..they seem to kill fish just because they can.
;) Many CA cichlids do not thrive in soft water with lower pH ;) Infact it is the opposite ;)

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
The mixing of them can be done, but I don't recommend it for begining fish keepers and especially if you do not have additional tanks to hold problem fishies if the issue arises.

Sir

Please, can I have some more?
Nov 21, 2007
The mixing of them can be done, but I don't recommend it for begining fish keepers and especially if you do not have additional tanks to hold problem fishies if the issue arises.
i promise you i am not a beginner. =D i've actually been into fish keeping for quite a while, just i haven't really needed that much help until now. :liar: hahaha. but like ya, i've become quite familiar with the behaviors of my mbuna cichlids, and i think that i can pull it off, but i really just want to know if i'm overstocking my 75gal? because i have heard that midas need lots of room and my africans get pretty territorial...

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
well, if you're more worried about over stocking than behavioural problems, you'd better tell us exactly what Africans are in the 75 already, together with genders and sizes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store