Gourami sick...Please Help!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hi everyone,

I have a neon gourami that doesn't necessarily have ich, but does have white pus spots about his body. No other fish have this physical abnormality. I have another gourami who is just fine.

I apologize for the pics, but it is noticeable if you look carefully. The first pic is his "good side"

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10-15

Please help with correct infection and what I can do

:help::headshake2:

P5250002.JPG P5250005.JPG P5250007.JPG P5250027.JPG

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Does that look cottony, or more like fuzzy bits of scales ?

Could be either fungus or columnaris bacteria. Usually both brought on by a) an infected fish from LFS b) stress c) poor water conditions. Does not look like ich to me.

He also looks quite beat up in general (fins raggy). How long have you had him, what size tank and what else is in there ? Also what test kit have you been using ?

Treatment for now (subject to ruling out aggression, water parameter problems) is pristine water conditions. Daily 50% change for a week, see if it improves. If not, try and get a sharper pic and come back to consider medication.

If you can quarantine him, do so.

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
It looks cottony I guess. No new fish added recently.

I do a water change 1-2x per week, about 40%. Yes, his fins are a bit beat up. I am 95% sure they used to be in a more smooth condition. Had him for maybe 4-5 months. I do have fish die here and there, but that is more normal I think. I always have great water condition: 0, 0, 10-20. I clean the gravel but not everytime. Change my size H filter for my Eclipse 37 gallons. I use ATI freshwater chemical test.

Poor guy...

Does that look cottony, or more like fuzzy bits of scales ?

Could be either fungus or columnaris bacteria. Usually both brought on by a) an infected fish from LFS b) stress c) poor water conditions. Does not look like ich to me.

He also looks quite beat up in general (fins raggy). How long have you had him, what size tank and what else is in there ? Also what test kit have you been using ?

Treatment for now (subject to ruling out aggression, water parameter problems) is pristine water conditions. Daily 50% change for a week, see if it improves. If not, try and get a sharper pic and come back to consider medication.

If you can quarantine him, do so.

Jun 25, 2007
If it's cottony, it might be columnaris. Is it possible the fish had injuries where the columnaris could attack it?

Definitely quarantine him if at all possible, and do the 50% water changes every day.

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Do you mean did he have an injury? Not that i know of....

If it's cottony, it might be columnaris. Is it possible the fish had injuries where the columnaris could attack it?

Definitely quarantine him if at all possible, and do the 50% water changes every day.

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
Hello again,

Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank at the moment. Right now my temp is 75 degrees F. I was wondering if adding salt would hurt the other fish, since they do not have any problems and might do more harm than good? What type of salt? If I add a med, will it cause more problems for fish that don't have problems?

Thanks

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
No need to add salt. I would for now treat with a little bit of melafix, and large water changes until you see an improvement (50% daily). The melafix won't harm your bacterial colonies or other fish. Do the change, dose with melafix, repeat daily.

I would also be questioning why he's picked up this condition. His fins look really raggy to me and that is likely either aggression related, or stress from something else, or poor water conditions (although you do seem to have excluded this possibility).

sm100378

Sep 20, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I did have 2 veil angels until 1 month ago that I had to get rid of because they were getting VERY big and bugging both gourami's.

But yeah, pristine water conditions (I use Prime). The fins seemed to have been getting worse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store