Sudden death!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
So I had this pearl gourami for quite a few months and suddenly without showing the slightest hint of poor health or stress she just up and died while I was at work. I fed her before I left. She ate as well as she always did. I came home to find her skeleton.

There are no issues at all with the water chemistry. The tankmates are all peaceful towards her - rasboras, SAEs and a female betta. No diseases or parasites in the tank. No new fish have been introduced in several months.

You all know me as someone who knows what he's doing so of course spare me the "did you do this, what was the condition of that" sort of stuff. haha

I've just never had a fish of this sort die so suddenly without a hint of distress beforehand. Naturally I'm accustomed to the sudden loss of small schooling fish and others like them. But to leave for work with a perfectly healthy and robust pearl gourami and come home nine hours later to a clean picked skeleton. Well, that's almost humorous.

tonytheboss1

AC Members
May 16, 2006
N.Y.C.
Real Name
TONY
:tombstone: Sorry for your loss. Most likely it didn't just expire. One of the others probably wounded or killed it & the rest picked it clean. Even the most passive of fish can be opportunistic cannibals. (don't underestimate that betta) "T"

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Rip.

echoofformless

Peat Advocate & Defender Of Snails
Oct 1, 2005
Phil Uh Del Feeya
www.myspace.com
I assume she would have to be infirmed enough to allow such opportunistic feeding. Keep in mind she was easily the alpha of the tank. No one in there would have had the nerve to just come over and start having a chunk of her unless they were sure she was weak enough to put up no fight.

It just seems odd to me that a centerpiece alpha fish in perfect health and who had eaten a good meal just hours before, could weaken so fast. I've never seen anything like it before. And I've been keeping fish for the better part of fifteen years.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
Water parameters? :lipssealedsmilie: J/K

Sorry for the loss man!

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Thats rough. I would have to suspect some gentic play that just caused it to happen then typical scavenger behavior.

Jun 25, 2007
Sometimes fish, like people and other animals, just up and die. Heart defect, brain aneurism, who knows. A friend of mine died at 43 and they still have no explanation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store