Pinktail Trigger

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
Has anyone had any experience of keeping a Pinktail trigger (Melichthys vidua) in a reef?

My LFS has had one for about 3 months and no-one seems interested in it (apart from me!!!). It did have a white swelling on it's chin which looked like damage rather than parasitic/disease and it has been eating well and behaving "properly". Everytime I go in I drool over it but my LFS doesn't want to sell it to me (how's that for a decent LFS - doesn't want me to take a risk!!!!) From what I've read, they are the more reef safe Trigger and am really really tempted:grinyes:

Obviously if someone tells me a real horror story then I won't consider it anymore!!!

Current set up is

182 gal tank
34 gal sump

1 Maroon clown
2 Bangaai cardinals
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Cleaner Wrasse
1 Lamarks Angel
1 Yellow Tang
1 six-spot sleeper Goby
1 Spotted Mandarin
9 Chromis

2 cleaner shrimp
2 peppermint
1 reef lobster
variety of hermits and snails
variety of LPS, SPS and soft corals.

Almondsaz

AC Members
May 26, 2007
I don't have any experience with them, but my LFS has a pair and they are beautiful. I thought that the only reefsafe trigger was the niger triger, and even with them you take a risk once they get older. From what I can glean from the web they are not reef safe (1 source noted: http://www.aquaristcourses.org/Fish%20Husbandry2 So not wishing to be the one to burst your bubble, maybe some who has kept them will chime in.

Not to steal your thread, but how do you like your Lamarks?

Good luck CPD.

Here is another cite/site that notes "with caution" http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/Fish/SaltwaterAndMarineFish/Triggerfish/Pinktailtrigger

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
i had a pink tailed trigger in a FOWLR tank but never in a reef tank but it was the best i kept it with a large maroon clown a puffer fish and a sf eel. i dont think they are invert safe though because i used to feed mine whole shrimp

Amphiprion

Contain the Excitement...
Feb 14, 2007
Mobile, Alabama
Real Name
Andrew
The good news is that they won't touch your corals. The bad is that they will make quick work of everything else--like your shrimp. The reason why they are one of the better suited triggers (albeit somewhat low on that "totem pole") is due to their dietary habits, which primarily includes crustaceans and algae (and detritus). There's also a potential aggression issue with your current fishes.

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
From what I have read theses are hit and miss. Just like people, fish will also have different personalities. If you search over at ReefCentral you will find that many have kept Sargassum, Bluechin, and Crosshatch tiggers successfully in their reef tanks.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I don't have any experience with them, but my LFS has a pair and they are beautiful. I thought that the only reefsafe trigger was the niger triger, and even with them you take a risk once they get older. From what I can glean from the web they are not reef safe (1 source noted: http://www.aquaristcourses.org/Fish Husbandry2 So not wishing to be the one to burst your bubble, maybe some who has kept them will chime in.

Not to steal your thread, but how do you like your Lamarks?

Good luck CPD.

Here is another cite/site that notes "with caution" http://www.tropicalfish4u.co.uk/Fish/SaltwaterAndMarineFish/Triggerfish/Pinktailtrigger

The Lamarks is doing really well. Was taking food from my hand within 24 hrs!!!!

The info I've been looking at is as follows:

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - Peaceful choice

PocketExpert Marine Fishes - One of the few triggers that can be kept in the reef aquarium. Will usually ignore sessile inverts but larger specimens may eat ornamental shrimps. (point to not here is that the same comment is also made about the sixline wrasse and a few other wrasses which people have with shrimps)

Marine Depot Live - General Notes: Better behaved than the Niger Triggerfish, the Melichthys vidua or Pinktail Triggerfish is probably the most desireable for the reef aquarium. Is very shy at first but will become friendlier than many of the other triggers and not become aggressive with age but more tame. It is very hardy and can be kept with peaceful fishes of equal size or larger. It not as likely to re-aquascape your tank as the other triggerfish species often will. Will eat shrimps and other crusteaceans.

I really really want one and know that if it didn't work out I could always take it back to the LFS.

Decisions, decisions:wall:

archer772

AC Members
Apr 20, 2006
Caro Michigan
I know a lady that had 1 in her 300 and never bothered her corals, her tangs were the nasty ones and the pink tail hid for almost 2 weeks. The reason she doesnt have it any more is because her 18 inch carpet caught it and made a dinner out of it and the trigger was almost 6 inches long.

AnnetteG

getting back to basics
Sep 24, 2007
sounds like it's time to start your big FOWLR, CPD! :grinyes:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store