Albino Cory vs Panda Cory

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Albino cories seem quite common - I have yet to see a LFS that didn't have them. On the other hand, I've seen Panda cory for the first time yesterday at one of the LFS.

Are they different? All the specs suggest that they are pretty much identical in nature, except for two black patches...

Which is hardier?

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
I have both.. The pandas seem to be more delicate to me. I lost a number of them right off that seemed to simply not make the transition from the store tank to mine.

delmore

AC Members
Dec 2, 2001
New Jersey
www.uaru-forum.com
All commonly available albino corys are the albino version of Corydoras paleatus -- the peppered cory.

I got 4 albino corys about 8 months ago, and have two left.
My Corydoras trilneatus and Cordoras agassizii are much more robust, and I never lost one. The albinos are hyper active -- always moving, and i think, like other albinos -- humans, turtles, etc have very poor eyesight. I place the two albinos in a different tank with lots of sinking pellets to eat and they are doing much better. Also, my albino corys are "runts" -- small and very slow growing. I don't know if I got a bad batch, perhaps in-bred, or if they are all like that.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I thought the albinos were the same as the bronze corys - aeneus.

I have 2, they seem to grow slower but are doing fine. I agree with delmore, they are hyper.

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Just curious, did those panda cories die within a week after the purchase from the store, or did it die after that? Looks like some stores give guarantee for a week as long as I bring the water sample, which I can gradly provide...

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by delmore
All commonly available albino corys are the albino version of Corydoras paleatus -- the peppered cory.
Nope--most are C. aeneus, though C. paleatus runs a distant second in number of albinos produced annually.

Tempest

AC Members
Jun 8, 2002
Wichita, KS
yh= The ones that died were gone overnight. It seemed they simply couldn't take the stress of the tank change. It is possible they had already been damaged in their first shipment in to the fish store then another trip home with me. I didn't really feel they had any disease and the survivors have lived in my tank for six months. They were quite small juveniles. They have probably tripled in size now and are fat and sassy. :)

yhbae

AC Members
Aug 5, 2003
Canada
www.aqadvisor.com
Hmm... I showed the albino, the "regular", and panda cories to my daughter - guess which one she picked? Panda... :D

I am determined to maintain my first tank in a good condition, so hopefully we will find some healthy panda cory for our tank...

ChilDawg

Math is sexy.
Dec 26, 2002
Byron and Normal (IL)
hometown.aol.com
Originally posted by delmore
The albinos are hyper active -- always moving, and i think, like other albinos -- humans, turtles, etc have very poor eyesight. I place the two albinos in a different tank with lots of sinking pellets to eat and they are doing much better. Also, my albino corys are "runts" -- small and very slow growing. I don't know if I got a bad batch, perhaps in-bred, or if they are all like that.
Mine are like that, too, hyper and slow-growing...I was likewise down to one from two after about nine months, so it's good to hear that the 50% rate of attrition happens to others (though 0% would be ideal!)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store