6line wrasse with ich....how to treat?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

apelaston

much more than a hobby to me.
Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
I just purchased a six line wrasse today and I think that she has ich. I have never treated a saltwater fish with anything before and pretty scared to lose my new 23.00 fish who I already adore.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Will my cleaner shrimp take care of her? He has cleaned off another one of my fish before.........

HELP!

:help::help::help:

apelaston

Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
he will be after I am done eating dinner...

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
Well now that he has been in the main tank that means that the ich is now in there.

There are a couple different options. The most popular ich treatment is to put all the fish in the QT at hypo salinity and leave the tank fallow for 6 weeks.

I've also read about success with a med called kordon's ick attack. I'm actually using it right now in my fowlr tank because I didn't have a refractometer to do the hypo and I didn't want to risk it with a hydrometer. I don't know if I would use meds with corals though. The stuff says its fine with corals but it seems risky to me especially since you could just do the hypo.

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
If it has Ich then they're present in your entire tank. Heres a quick rundown on Ich:

1. The trophont stage will spend three to seven days attached to the fish. After that.. 2. The trophont leaves the fish and turns to the second stage, they are now protomonts.
3. The protomont will travel to you substrate and attach to the surface, it will encyst and enter the third stage, it is now a tomont.
4. The tomont will divide into hundreds of parasites, the 4th stage, called tomites.
At this stage it cannot affect a fish, it is just laying around waiting around maturing, which usually lasts about a month. After this...
5. The tomites will hatch and are now called theronts. They will swim around and infect a fish once it finds one. Once they do they are called trophonts, beggining the process all over again. If they do not find a fish or host within a day they will die.

Your best course of action would be to put all your fish into a QT tank and medicate, either with copper or formalin. Let your tank sit for about 5 weeks and you should be good.

apelaston

Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
i can remove the corals that I have in my tank I only have 2 plus some mushrooms which I could take out easily.

As for leave the tank fallow I am not sure what you mean by that....

apelaston

Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
You believe my other fish are affected as well since he has only been in my DT for 6 hours? He has just a few spots on him..that I noticed by focusing in on him with my camera.....

HaKs310

AC Members
Apr 30, 2008
Gardena, CA
I strongly advise against medicating the fish in your display/main tank. Yeah you can take your corals out but you also have a lot of beneficial matter that will die if you do: bacteria, worms, amphipods, copepods and mysid shrimp to name a few, not to mention all your LR.

apelaston

Mar 21, 2008
bradford, ohio
www.myspace.com
gotcha...i think I am going to try the hypo option....any suggestions on how to do this or at what sg i need to get it too..right now I am at 1.22

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store