Issues with low Ph

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Paperfish

AC Members
May 26, 2008
FL
Hi
i just joined so i hope im in the right section!

I cleaned my tank last week and when i tested the water (before the change) the Ph was very low, after the change it was still low..
a couple days ago i took the advise of someone from the fish store i go to
and added crushed coral to the tank. (i never knew this helped)

she said it would take about 24 hrs to bring the Ph up, but its been a few days and it still hasnt gone up at all.

now aside from low Ph, i have a cloudy tank :mad2:. and yes i rinsed the coral first :)

Today i did a small water change (about 10 gallons)
and still.. no change. not sure what i can do now,
maybe a bigger water change?

any help would be great :)

tank is 55 gal, fake plants, 12 small fish.
filter is a fluval 305 and its been set up for a few years.
nitrite and nitrate is 0
The filtered tap water i use has a Ph of about 7.3
and the Ph in the tank now isnt even matching 6.2

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Did you test ammonia? Additionally, the fact that this tank is a few years old leads me to believe that there are mulm deposits hidden in the tank that are causing the low ph. Give your gravel a thorough vacuuming, and your filter media a good washing (though probably not at the same time).

Paperfish

AC Members
May 26, 2008
FL
i have Mardel live meters. and the water was tested at the store.

i dont know what the hardiness level was.

Paperfish

AC Members
May 26, 2008
FL
Im still messing with this low ph level, i tried everything, so this weekend i went back to the LFS to see what they say.. the woman there thinks its gotta be my drift wood since ive had it many years.. she says when it starts to break down it gives off an acid.

she said 1- get new drift wood
or 2 - scrub it off good and see if that changes anything.

i would like to keep this one since it is pretty large, so i would rather try option 2
my question is, before i move 30 something plants out of the way and make a watery mess.. has anyone had any luck with just cleaning it?

thanks.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Driftwoods will leach tannic acids throughout the years. It will not matter whether your driftwoods are old or new. You haven't mentioned yet your hardness levels.

Paperfish

AC Members
May 26, 2008
FL
i dont know the hardness levels exactly but i do have hard water, i can tell that just by looking at the deposits on my shower head that i have to soak off once in a while.
thats typical here on city water.

the test kit is top on my shopping list though so i can get a more exact number.

I did do another water change with jugs of spring water and left it to cycle over night.. i'll see what happens in the morning.

the only other things i can do now is change out all the filter media and/or scrub the drift wood... if that doesnt work, i just might give in and sell my tank lol

do the mineral deposits in hard water make a low ph?
if so, do i add a water softner to the tank??

Digital

IC3D
Nov 18, 2007
Fairfield County, CT
www.ic3d.net
Real Name
Marc Digital
I had a similar problem not too long ago with my 120.

I added crushed coral to my substrate and added probably 35lbs of tufa rock. The stuff people use in african cichlid tanks. Did the trick. It keeps everything where I want it to be.

My tank was new though, I just had transferred gravel and water from my old one into it. But I have driftwood in there, a lot of it. Slate, pagoda rock and tufa rock.

My fish seem to be doing well and I dont have low ph issues any more so I'm cool. Try it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store