Dither Fish for SA Tank?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
I have a 55 gallon tank currently stocked with two Blue Acaras. I was thinking of adding two Bolivian Rams and one Angelfish to round out the cichlid species.

I'm curious to know if I should add some dither fish to help keep the aggression down. If so, what would be a good choice and how many?

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
Since the Blue acaras were already in the tank, you might have trouble adding other cichlids, especially a single angel. The acaras have most likely already established the tank for themselves, especially if they are a pair. The Bolovian rams might be ok as the acaras probably won't see them as a threat. As far as dithers go, any larger tetra or barb in a group would do fine.

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
Since the Blue acaras were already in the tank, you might have trouble adding other cichlids, especially a single angel. The acaras have most likely already established the tank for themselves, especially if they are a pair. The Bolovian rams might be ok as the acaras probably won't see them as a threat. As far as dithers go, any larger tetra or barb in a group would do fine.
Thank-you for your insight. The blue acaras have only been in there for a few days and are still young - they're just starting to develop their colors now. They're pretty fun little guys! Would they still have "established" the tank for themselves?

Do you have any other recommendations for other tankmates?

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
Wait, I though DITHER FISH were for coaxing out shy fish and TARGET FISH are for thinning out aggression in a tank?

ChiaJesus

Aquatic Metalhead
May 20, 2008
Regina, Canada
www.riderfans.com
Wait, I though DITHER FISH were for coaxing out shy fish and TARGET FISH are for thinning out aggression in a tank?
Uh oh...maybe I just learned something. My understanding is that dither fish can help calm aggression as well as coax shy fish out from hiding. I'm new at this so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm wrong.

I ended up getting six red eyed tetras, for a couple of reasons. First, I want to have a pure South American tank. Second, the shoal will look kind of neat with the Acaras roaming around doing what Acaras do. I love those fish...they have some serious personality.

Now to come up with a couple of cichlids to throw in there to finish stocking.

Vicious_Fish

Mar 6, 2007
The Land of the Lost
Real Name
Seth
I keep a Striped Anostomus in with my pair of Convict Cichlids to thin out aggression. He's way to quick for them to catch.

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.
Thank-you for your insight. The blue acaras have only been in there for a few days and are still young - they're just starting to develop their colors now. They're pretty fun little guys! Would they still have "established" the tank for themselves?

Its hard to say. If your Blue acaras are small yet they might not be too territorial yet. I just wouldn't add a single angel to that tank. When you add a single individual it doesn't have any buddies to group with for protection and usually becomes a target. It might work, anything is possible and if all fish are young enough you might get away with it. Since you added the red eye tetras first you might be able to sneek something else in there without too much trouble.

Mij

AC Members
Sep 11, 2007
Pa.

Forgot about tankmate recommendations. It really depends on if you have a "pair" of Blue acaras. If it is a compatible pair, they will be much more territorial when they begin to spawn. It also depends on your preference as far as what fish in the tank you feel should be the priority and center of attention. If its the acara pair, then you would need to choose something that wouldn't threaten them and try to dominate the tank. In that case you would need something submissive in nature like another mild mannered cichlid. Keyhole cichlids, port cichlids, Severums are just a few that come to mind in the same size category. You could choose a pair of Kribensis cichlids as these guys are not too aggressive and don't grow near the size of the acaras, but could take care of themselves. And of course you can still go with Angels, just go with more of them, like 3 or 5 and add them all at the same time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store