Zinc plated stainless steel aquarium safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TracyRee

AC Members
May 16, 2008
I am trying to make a frog feeder adn using screws to hold it together. They are zinc plated, is that safe for aquarium use? It will be in the tank about an hour every other day

TracyRee

AC Members
May 16, 2008
just curious, but why do you need a frog feeder in your tank?
Because I want the frog food to be contained in one place instead of getting pushed down into the gravel when they eat and to make sure they are getting food instead of the fish eating it all.

boostnbuds

boostnbuds
Sep 21, 2007
Rhode Island
isnt stainless steel just normal steel with zinc mixed in?

OldMan47

I love my endlers
Jan 1, 2008
Central Illinois
Thanks. Where can I find stainless steel without the zinc coating?
You will find either galvanized (zinc plated) or stainless steel. You will not find galvanized stainless. The hardware store carries stainless and galvanized when I go looking but I need to choose. They are not the same. You will probably find the stainless is 3 or 4 times the price of the zinc plated but are worth it to keep your water clean.

Lil_Stinker

Jedi Master
Aug 25, 2007
I am trying to make a frog feeder adn using screws to hold it together. They are zinc plated, is that safe for aquarium use? It will be in the tank about an hour every other day
How bout nylon bolts & nuts?

Reddog80p

Permanently Dechlor'd
Nov 18, 2006
I wouldn't recommend anything Zinc plated in your tank. Zinc at certain levels are harmful even to humans.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store