"Cycling" with nothing

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Wateveryousay

AC Members
Jan 19, 2008
Austin, Texas
I have a empty 30 gallon bowfront that i just bought a filter for today. Is there any point in filling it up and filtering the water without substrate or plants etc.? Its a brand new filter btw

Thanks

Marinemom

AC Members
Apr 8, 2006
You can filter the water without the substrate or the plastic plants if you want but the tank will not cycle or even begin a cycle until you add an ammonia source. This is accomplished with either a fishie cycle ( not recommended ) or a fishless cycle.( recommended ). There is a stickey at the top of the page you can read on cycling a tank and the nitrogen cycle.

Marinemom

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
You also need a starter population of bacteria. Put some gravel or filter media from an established tank in the new tank, then add the ammonia source.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Well, there is a point in filling it for an half an hour to check for cracks. I personally would wait until you got everything else to set it up, as putting in sand for substrate would be a real pain.

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com

Notophthalmus

I put the 'snork' in 'snorkeling'!
Mar 4, 2008
Tennessee
Do you know anyone else with a tank? Sometimes even LFS's will give you a handful of gravel from one of their tanks.

Even better, if a friend who lives nearby has a tank, see if he'll let you put your filter on his tank and run it for a couple weeks. This should thoroughly populate your filter media with bacteria. Just be sure to keep the media wet during transportation and move the filter from your friend's tank to yours in a reasonably brief time period. Have dechlorinated water already in your tank when you set the filter up in it.

Wateveryousay

AC Members
Jan 19, 2008
Austin, Texas
Ive done tanks before, i know how the cycle works basically, i was just wondering if there is ANYWAY i could start my cycle without anything in the tank other than a filter. Maybe fish food or a couple drops of ammonia or something

Lady G

It's a mafia thing, nothing personl
Oct 6, 2005
WI
gingersassatelli.bodybyvi.com
True, but then you're relying on bacteria to drift in from the outside environment. This can take a while.
You don't really wait for the outside environment...adding ammonia is what you do. Yes...it takes a while.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store