Kuhli loaches or Tiger loaches tankmates

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

meili.harrison

Love my plecos!
I'm thinking about getting some loaches, not sure if I should have them in my 46 gal or 29 gal. The 46 gal is larger but I have angelfish in there, I don't know if that would work as I read they should be with non-aggressive fish. I also haven't changed over to sand substrate, it is gravel right now.

The 29 gal is more of a community tank, I only have some neons and 2 guppies in there right now. It has a sand substrate already but I haven't added many plants yet.

Which tank would the kuhlis work better in. Any opinions on if I should get Kuhli or Tiger ones and how many would be a good number?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I haven't kept Ornate tiger sand loaches but here's a good link http://www.loaches.com/species-index/schistura-kohchangensis Many schistura loaches can be aggressive to each other so lots of hiding places are needed.

I have kuhlis & like them very much. If they are the only bottom fish in the 29g 6-8 would work well. They also need hiding spots & enjoy hanging out in plants too. I really don't think your angel would bother adult pangios but they're often sold very small, tiny enough that I put a sponge over my filter intake.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Kuhlis can work in both tanks. If you were referring to the Schistura fishorama linked into, these apparently need fast flowing waters which is quite the opposite to both tanks you have. Stick with loaches that prefer still waters such as kuhlis.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
Yes. Gravel is fine provided it doesn't have sharp edges that can cut the kuhlis' skin. Sand though is generally more preferred as these do love to burrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store