Tang with red/irratated fin area

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
My mimic lemonpeel tang has a bright red spot around his left fin area where it meets his body...he is swimming and eating just fine but it looks like an irritated area sort of like a rash or something and is bright red like blood. Should I medicate the tank or anything? I don't have a quarantine tank...

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
I would recomend a water change. the only med I would use in the whole tank is Maracyn-two, and I think it would work for it. pictures would be better though, becuse if it's mild irritation, I would just do some water changes untill it goes away. but if it looks like it's pretty dip and red, I would do a water change and treat, then water changes after that.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Thanks Roma. I will take go take pictures now and post them.

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Here he is from a couple days ago

Here are a few shots I just took

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Roma, is maracyn-two reef/invert safe? I don't have any corals but I do have live rock. Thank you. I'm asking because some idiot at petco told me to put in some medicine once and it killed all my cleaner shrimps.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
I honestly can't see the dfference between before and now pictures. if it's that mild, water changes will do a trick. maracyn-two is a reef and inverts safe. there are many Mardel products, so you have to make sure that it's maracyn-two and it's for salt water fish. follow the treatment as they say and mark what you do and when you do it on your calendar. however, if he eats good, just do water changes, make sure to add vitamins into his food, and monitor him. do small water changes (15-25%) every day until the spot is gone. if he stops eating or the spot doesn't go away in a few days, then go for maracyn-two.

CoraLife

Profesional Idiot
Apr 20, 2008
Too Far from the Ocean
the pectoral fins in the second and third picture show the redness

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
It's not just him in the tank. It's a 72 gallon and he has a group of friends. Look closely next to his gill its red where his fin meets his body. It's only on that one side that's why I took those pictures from that side only. Thanks so much for the advice. Made me feel much more at ease because I was worried...I can't bare losing fish. = /

mcsassy

professional fool
Jan 28, 2008
Ya coralife is right...pectoral fins! Hey how are your angels doing by the way coralife? Did you get them? Let me know.

BadRoma1

AC Members
Nov 29, 2005
oh, my bad. i was looking at the tail area. that looks like some kind of damage or septisemia. make sure to do water changes to allow it to heal. just go by what I said before. do water changes for a couple of days and make sure he eats well. if that don't work, you know what to do. good luck.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store