My plec won't eat his veggies

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
So I decided to take the advice of people here and feed my rubberlip pl*co some actual vegetables instead of just algae and shrimp pellets. So far, no go. The pl*c just ignores the lettuce I put in there. I also tried feeding this to my dempsey, my convicts and my guppies. None of them are interested. I now have a head of lettuce rotting in my fridge that no one wants. Are there other kinds of veggies the pl*co or my other fish would eat?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Cucumbers..zucchini..most squash...peas.....

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Try zucchini. Poke a tiny hole in a slice & put a piece of shrimp pellet in. Weight it down with spoon through it, a chip clip or plant weight. Leave it overnight.

Was it iceberg lettuce? Romaine or leaf lettuce is what my fish like but I don't eat iceberg. I don't know if your cichlids or guppies eat veggies, seems unlikely.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Try zucchini. Poke a tiny hole in a slice & put a piece of shrimp pellet in. Weight it down with spoon through it, a chip clip or plant weight. Leave it overnight.

Was it iceberg lettuce? Romaine or leaf lettuce is what my fish like but I don't eat iceberg. I don't know if your cichlids or guppies eat veggies, seems unlikely.
Not a clue. I don't eat lettuce (or most veggies for that matter). I'm afraid my mother failed me in that area. Or I failed her one.

I'll try the zuchinni next time I go to the store and write the lettuce off as a loss I guess.

A. Nonymous

AC Members
Feb 4, 2008
Cichlids eat vegies, hence why they aren't planted tank friendly ^_^
I'm finding they won't eat my veggies. Besides I thought cichlids weren't planted friendly because they dig, not because they eat plants.

rich311k

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich
Cichlids, especially the big South American and Central American ones don't really eat plants, they just don't like them because they break up the line of sight in their territories and they may not see an interloper.

Many cichlids are plant safe. Angels, rams, apistos, keyholes and lots more.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store