"Safe for drinking hoses".. Safe for aquarium?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
I've heard mixed opinions on using garden hoses to refill a tank during a water change. Some say definitely not, some say it's fine, some say if the hose is old it's good.

Well, my mom went to a plant swap today and got a "door prize"... a 50 ft hose. This hose is flat like a firehose, then gets round when the water is flowing through.. very light. lol, pretty neat.
Anyways, on the box thing it says "NEW AND IMPROVED FOR DRINKING WATER!".. caps n all. It also says "FDA COMPLIANT Connectors and Lining"

I've been planning on going to Lowes to get some hose and a faucet connector to make my water changes easier(Home Depot didnt have any of the hose i was looking for), but have been procrastinating because im saving money for a new tank... then voila!.. madre comes home with this! : ) it has a faucet connector, but it's a bit too big for my sink, so I just need to go down the street to Home Depot and get a connector part.

I guess my question is:

Are hoses that are safe for drinking.. safe for refilling an aquarium too?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Yes.

legendaryfrog

Tactical Refreshment Action
Nov 25, 2006
arlington heights - hoffman estates, IL
I believe anything that passes standards for human consumption can also be used for fish.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
I believe anything that passes standards for human consumption can also be used for fish.
yeah, but things that are safe for us(like chlorinated water, as an example) might not be as safe for fish... fish may be more sensitive to certain things.
was just checking here to make sure first.

Easydoesit

AC Members
Mar 17, 2008
Taxachusetts
it doesnt say anything about that.. but it doesnt say much else other than "linings and connectors meet food contact safety standards"

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
i think it is fine. if it had any chemicals in it i am completely sure there would be a 'this product contains chemicals known in the state of california to cause cancer' label on it because pretty much anything containing anything has one of those labels. i know i've had garden hoses with it before. something about reproductive damage. . . . definitely not for drinking water.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
if it had any chemicals in it i am completely sure there would be a 'this product contains chemicals known in the state of california to cause cancer' label on it because pretty much anything containing anything has one of those labels.
I've started noticing that a lot lately. I got a water bottle from my company with their logo on it, it had one of those labels...I threw it away.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store