HELP ! jewel cichlid sick ! (with pictures)

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
Hello,

What disease is it down with?

Symptoms : Clamped fins, Darken edges of fins, Distorted body shape, inactive, white patch near fin.

Also, there is this cotton wool like thing found on my decor and tank bottom. I tried cleaning it out but it always comes back. What is it?

Thanks !

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
First thing I would try and exclude is toxic water. The white patch could be fungus or bacterial but until proven otherwise I would say you have excess ammonia or nitrite and this white patch is secondary to that. My gut says most likely the latter (nitrite).

Can you test for ammonia and nitrite (nitrate too, why not) with a good liquid drop test kit and post the results ?

What size tank is it, is it cycled (how) and how long set up ? Also other inhabitants while you're at it.

Riiz

Apocalypse Pony
Apr 16, 2008
So Cal
Real Name
Eric
The white stuff on the wood is most likely fungus, its harmless, just usually attacks the soft parts of wood.

As for the fish, the white patch is fungus too, but fungus is always a secondary infection of sorts, it only consumes dead tissue. Dirty or toxic water is usually your culprit.

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
Try some MelaFix! its a miracle drug for fish!

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
But it won't do anything for your fish if you have detectable ammonia or nitrite, or excessive nitrates, in your tank.

eylk

AC Members
Aug 5, 2007
hello, how to check if the spine is still straight?

I do not think the white patch is fungus as I have used pima and melafix on it before.

the tank is no cycled yet but the water parameters are okay. ammonia, nitrite 0, nitrate 5.

-----------------

how to do clear the fungus on the wood for good? I have it on the tank bottom too. I have another tank too but it does not have the fungus on wood problem.. what is the cause?

-----------------

also there is this fishy smell after i quarantined the sick fish.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
THE MOST IMPORTANT OBSERVATION LEFT OUT !

I can see a lot of small white worms like things on the glass ! they are about 1mm and they actually MOVE ! they will slowly inch forward (like how a worm moves) under close observation! there are countless of those !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Thanks

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Those worms are another sign of over feeding and poor water quality.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store