Glowlight tetra spawn-when and what to feed fry??

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

GCL

AC Members
Jun 30, 2006
Western Ct.
Hi, Well, I was lucky enough to move a pair of glowlight tetras into a 2 1/2 gallon tank that was already holding some molly fry that I removed for the spawn. I threw in a huge mass of java moss that I was keeping in a tray for later use.

I now have eggs as of yesterday afternoon and they are hatching. Look like little tadpoles! Parents have been moved back to the main tank.

My question is on when and what to feed any fry.

I did some reading, and, please correct me if I am wrong, but I think they should be ok on their own until they are free swimming in about 3-4 days. ?? Or should they be getting something prior to free swimming??
Will the java moss that had been sitting in a tray for quite awhile contain any nutrients they can utilize?

This morning I put a piece of boiled collard green in a quart jar and will keep it in the sun for a few days to obtain some infusoria-if that's the right term. And plan to feed this to them in small amounts, about 1/4 cup once a week???

I do have on hand some Hikari "first bites" powdered fry food. Can I give them this and when would I start this food?

As you can tell by now, I could really use some advice. This all happened unexpectedly.

pinkertd

May 29, 2007
New Jersey
Real Name
Debbi
Wait until they are free swimming before you give them the First Bites. It's good food for small fry!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store