iridescent sharks, frogs, loaches, baby fry and new tanks.. new gal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

stasie

AC Members
Jun 3, 2008
Hi everyone! I found this site because I was looking for more people who have iridescent sharks. I purchased a shark last year, knowing absolutely nothing, at the local walmart. I wanted a little tank for my bathroom, I actually let my son choose the fish he wanted, he happened to pick an iridescent shark.

Well, after a year I went from a 1 gallon, to a 30 gallon, then to a 45 gallon and now I have a 90 gallon set up. I absolutely love these fish (I have had 2 for about a year now, I had a third but it died early on) and I am saddened that with all of my research since I read that they should not be in an acquarium. However, when I talk to fish store ppl who have them, they said theirs grew only a little more than a foot long. I feel so frustrated that these fish are being sold everywhere here in Ontario. I love them and I am willing to continue to upgrade my tank.. actually I have become a little fish obsessed.. I had no idea I would love this so much!
I am wondering if anyone here owns an iridescent shark and if they have had success with them? Mine are so peaceful and swim so gracefully, they like to swim together and like to touch each other as they swim!

I also have 2 dinosaur eels, birchers. They are also very amazing! I have had them for a year too and they are very graceful and love to be together. I have some little silver dollars, whom I'm really enjoying and some blue botias, along with some clown loaches. These loaches are all fairly small and when they grow I will be moving them as needed. I love loaches too! LOL! My sister happened to buy 2 rainbow sharks (against my advice.. just because I returned some .. they were tank terrors..) anyway, one was terrorizing the other so I made a home for him here in my 90 gallon.. he is doing well and doesn't bother the other fish at all, probably because they are bigger than him.

Ok, in my 45 gallon, I have two Albino African Clawed frogs, a male and a female, one chinease algae eater and one male blue gourami..The 30 gallon houses the fry (a week old) from Blue and his "lady friend" I wasn't prepared for the fry, or for Blue's aggression! But now he is with the frogs and my algae eater who is full grown and likes to display his dominance!

So I'm taking care of the fry.. hopefully I am doing the right things!

Anyway, this is my aquarium life! I love it, but I'm stressed about caring for my iridescent sharks! Anyone else here have them, have they out grown your tank yet?
Thanks,
Stasie

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
Welcome to AC!

ID sharks get much larger than 1 foot...3 feet is not uncommon. i would start looking at 600 gallon or more tanks now rather than upgrading to a marginally larger tank every few months. although it will cost more initally, it will save you money in the long run and you won't have a bunch of tanks begging to be set up :D

Weezer

Plastic Plant's Live Longer
Mar 2, 2007
"Minnesota - It Gets Chilly Here"
Hello..........:welcome:

Artemis JT

AC Members
May 24, 2008
Wiscawnsin
Welcome to AC!

But yeah, those ID sharks don't just get big, they get HUGE! More of a MFK fish. If your really willing to keep him, your going to need a pretty big tank. Definitely a cool fish.
The clawed frogs are cool huh! I used to have one, awesome animals.

Here's a pic of an "albino" ID shark around three feet. He's in a 960g tank at an lfs.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC, Stasie! Start a thread in the FW forums and you will get many more responses.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
:welcome: to AC!

stasie

AC Members
Jun 3, 2008
Wow! That picture was enough for me. I love my sharks and I've been pretty stressed about this, but the right thing for me to do is bring them in to Big Al's. I could upgrade my tank to 200 gallons, but certainly that won't be good enough for my shark babies.

I think I'll be doing some major tank changes in the next few days. I'm going to bring back my clown loaches and blue botias.. truly my tank is not going to house them for the long haul either, especially since they require groups of each. I will have my 2 dino eels and 4 silver dollars and a khuli loach in my 90 gallon. I would like to have a shark, the bala seem to be the right fit in temperment but they need a group... and that won't be good either.

I really appreciate the responses, and it will truly be difficult to give my sharks away, but I realize now that it is the best thing.

Ohh and yes, my african clawed frogs in the other tank are wonderful. "Lady" is full grown and loves to eat.. "Freddie" is near full grown and he loves Lady.. LOL! He hugs her and tries to "snuggle" but she only puts up with it for a short time.. she's more interested in food! LOL!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store