Bought Some Cory's Today.....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
Jul 3, 2006
San Diego, CA
I know two for sure are Julii, but the 3rd one was uncertain. Any ideas? I got him for 4.99. The LFS didn't know so they didn't bump up the price.

The first one is the unknown. The second one is the Julii. They both look similar though.

DSC02182.JPG DSC02181.JPG

pavemike

AC Members
Feb 11, 2008
Did you put these guys in your 55 gallon or your 10 gallon? If you put them in your 55 gallon, i would suggest picking up 2 or 3 more of these guys. They tend to like a small group, and may be a little more playful with a few more playmates. Congrats on your pickup though....these guys may become your favorite fish before you know it!!

Jul 3, 2006
San Diego, CA
I did put them in my 55 gallon. I am curious as to what they are if Lupin says they are not Julii. Was I duped by the LFS because the Julii are more expensive than some of the other corys. I think I might buy some more, but I want to know their real names so I don't get ripped off.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
How much did they cost? Closest I can compare the second pic with is Corydoras kanei but they're suspiciously different based on spot arrangements. I don't think anyone has obtained the Corydoras julii. The color patterns of your own cories are different from the true Corydoras julii.

faun

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Norwich, England
Corydoroas julii are really hard to find, so in the end i got panda corys. I personally dont think they look like juliis either but they are very cute whatever they turn out to be.

Jul 3, 2006
San Diego, CA
How much did they cost? Closest I can compare the second pic with is Corydoras kanei but they're suspiciously different based on spot arrangements. I don't think anyone has obtained the Corydoras julii. The color patterns of your own cories are different from the true Corydoras julii.
I paid 7.99 for the two supposed Julii. My LFS is selling them as such. I agree, the patterns are different. Not to mention the "V" pattern going across the top of the fish. I do like them though even though I may have paid too much.

jenratico

Jen
Apr 8, 2008
Denver, CO
I've been wondering lately if Herman (who is about 6 years old and the last survivor of a school of what was purchased as panda cories) is actually a panda. I purchased some new "pandas" for him, but have noticed that they don't look quite the same - because Herman has a narrow black strip down his back and more of a band around his tail. Here he is, I think he looks more like "metae" on planet catfish:
(his top fin is damaged from the CAE (now traded in) but is growing back, and the stripe from that fin to his tail is hard to see except from the top.)

Here is one of the new "panda" cory's:

They haven't been hanging out together much, so I'm thinking if they are different species that may be why. Do you agree that Herman might be metae? Should I try to find more of them?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
All I got was a red x for Herman's pic. The new cory is a panda. From your discription Herman does sound like a metae. I've had them, very nice corys & should be less expensive than pandas. Seems like they get a little bigger than pandas too.

For your other corys you may get a better idea of their 2 species after they settle in a couple weeks, they look a bit faded. It's hard to tell exact species, there are many with that basic coloration: mask, dark dorsal area & body spots, without knowing where they were originally found. Lots of individual variations too. I agree they don't look like julii to me, cute though. Julii don't have a mask & the dorsal fin spot is away from the body.

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
planetcatfish.com has an amazing amount of info on all types of catfish, including cories. check them out if you want to find out what kind of cories those others are

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store