Sick Betta (Popeye) - treatment advice please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Matt30

AC Members
May 10, 2008
North Carolina
Hello folks.

My daughter and I have four male bettas. One of the four has come down with, best I can diagnose, a case of popeye. I was keeping him in a planted 10 gallon tank with another male betta (divided of course). I have since his illness quarantined him in hospital tank and began treating him with Maracyn II (I am in day 3). (I went and bought a 2.5 gal tank for quarantine, the medicine, put a plant in it from his display tank with a new small pump and airstone...cost me $40. I love my fish!) As I mentioned before, the ill betta ("Midnight") has a tank mate (King Rainbow), and KR has remained very healthy and active, as have my other two bettas in my second 10 g tank. In my display tanks I have faithfully changed the water (50% every week), used conditioner and aquarium salts as directed, and kept the water temp at 80 degress F with use of tank heaters. I suspect that Midnight had already had a "bug" when I purchased him about 3-4 weeks ago, though he was asymptomatic at the time of purchase. At any rate, he seems to be just very slightly more active since treatment, but I honestly cannot be sure. His eyes remain bulging but this has not appeared to worsen. He is inded extremely lethargic, mostly just floating at the surface in the corner fo the hospital tank. Also, he has not eaten a thing in over four days. The directions on the Maracyn II say to treat I believe for 5 days (I'll be triple checking that). I don't want him to suffer, which I believe he still is at this point in his treatment. So, my question is, should I continue to treat with the full course of the antibiotic and see what happens or, at what point should I consider euthanasia? (I've read the way to do this most humanely would be to put him into a small bowl of water and place in the freezer...feedback?) I have never treated a fish for anything other than ick before but not something this serious. Again, any feedback, general prognosis on treating popeye, other treatments, when to consider euthanasia, etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks you all for your time.

Sincerely,
Matt

Matt30

AC Members
May 10, 2008
North Carolina
Is that the type of antibiotic in Maracyn II (the generic) or a different medication? Also, how concerned should I be about his not eating for 4 days?

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
If he's stopped eating that's not a good sign, but fish can go for a while without food. It's in Maracyn TC. I've only treated popeye once, so lets let some other people pop in on whether Maracyn II is effective or not.

raspberries

AC Members
Mar 15, 2008
Maybe you should post us a picture of how bad his popeye is?

Whether your water conditions are great or not, sometimes it takes a little while for whatever sickness they had at the shop to show. I read that popeye was a sign of another illness, whether it be ich or whatever. I think you're on the right track with treating him.

The only thing I would be worried about is his eyesight. My fish got popeye in one eye and ended up losing his sight in one eye. He still eats though. He's actually wonderfully active and happy. He bounced right back from it, so don't give up hope yet.

Make sure all water conditions are steady and there is no stress on him while he's being treated. He probably won't eat for a little while considering he feels so horrible, but he will get his appetite back. Just make sure you're removing the uneaten food before it rots.

As for euthanasia, there is an article that someone wrote in the Article section about it. Read through that and it will give you acceptable ways. I think you are right though, although I think you cool the water first, for a film of ice on the top, and then put him in. But PLEASE don't think about that right now. Bettas are hardy, and although they are touchy with water conditions, they bounce back from whatever illness they have.

Other treatment options;
I find aquarium salt is always a good thing to have around. Not only does it help out in the quarantine tank, but it's good to follow the directions and use some in the betta tank.
Warming the water slightly while a betta fish is being treated is also sometimes helpful. When a betta is in cooler temperatures, their immune system weakens. A warm environment will help him fight this.

ALSO; Popeye CAN be a sign of tuberculosis which is TRANSFERABLE to humans. So please take care to wash up, and avoid direct contact if possible.

Please give us an update <3
I'm sure he'll pull through. :)

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
I'd finish the course of treatment. Then as long as he was maintaining his position in the water (not floating upside down etc.) I'd water change 50% plus (gently) for a few days and see if he perks up.

raspberries

AC Members
Mar 15, 2008
betta should not have salt in their water. the only reason to use salt in a betta tank is to treat ich or a few other easily treatable diseases.

most popeye cases are from poor water quality. keep the water very clean and it should go away on its own.
Aquarium salt. I have read multiple articles that it is okay and encouraged to have a small dosage of aquarium salt in a betta tank.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
No need for it whatsoever (the salt) unless treating for particular disease (ich) or minor soft tissue injury.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store