New to Otocinclus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

tks4d2

AC Members
Aug 10, 2006
Can any oto owners tell me if they are hardy. After doing a search I've read some stuff on how they are left in horrible conditions at the lfs and end up dying prematurely after purchasing.

J double R

The Devil
Jan 13, 2007
Louisiana
Real Name
Jon
otos are fairly finicky IME. some people can't kill them, others can't keep them alive.

mountain_webste

AC Members
May 2, 2007
B-more
My understanding is that they are significantly weakened during collection and shipping and to expect some die-off initially. They need good water conditions in an established tank. Those that make it through all that and settle into their new home tend to do well for years to come.

Again, this is just my understanding from research and following oto posts on AC. I'm new to oto's too having just gotten my first that are 1 week into QT. FWIW I got 6, lost 1 two days into QT, but the rest seem to be doing fine. Mine were/are little poop machines (significantly more then any other fish I've had) so have been doing 30+% water changes every other day; granted there were lots of diatoms in the QT tank for them to devour so I don't know if this is normal or not.

excuzzzeme

Stroke Survivor '05
No they are not hardy but then again, they are not fragile. They need standard water parameters and temp like any fish prefers. Make sure you buy some algae wafers in case you don't have enough algae for feeding them. Most of them die from starvation, ammonia poisoning, and attacks by unfriendly fish.

They are very good at cleaning up diatoms.

BigAds

Big Fish in a Small Pond
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
I've only been keeping fish for ~6 months or so, not counting our lone betta in a 2.5gallon tank, who required very little effort to keep very healthy and happy, and I've put ottos into our 10 gallon tank before it was fully cycled (I didn't know) and they did perfectly fine, and are still healthy and happy. I recently finished cycling our 36 gallon and added 3 ottos there, and again, they're perfectly happy and healthy.

In my limited experience, if yours come from good stock, and you follow the general necessities of fish-keeping, they should be fine. Mine love finding a piece of sinking algae wafer that the cories miss, enjoy hanging out on the driftwood, and our glass always looks clean (on the inside at least). As long as you don't have agressive fish in there already or anything that might see the otto as food, and as long as your tank is cycled and healthy, I'd give it a try with a few otto.

Hooked Newbie

Today will be yesterday tomorrow
May 25, 2007
Georgia
Real Name
Len
I agree with the fact that they vary. They do best acclimated slowly and added to a planted tank (the heavier the better) that's been established for awhile (6 months or so) IME.

-KT-

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Bay Area
www.myspace.com
I have had 2 in my 10 gallon thats pretty much full with amazon swords for about a year now. They quickly ate all the algae they could find but i'm lucky enough to have otos that love wafers of all kinds.

BigAds

Big Fish in a Small Pond
Apr 19, 2008
Madison, WI
it really depends on the supplier and a particular shippment. some otos you will get will last for years, while others will never really adjust.
I want the angelfish in your avatar! All the ones I've been seeing around here are boring, plain colors and weak patterns.

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
my otos just seem to do just fine i got them right after i decided i was going to make it a planted tank and i didnt have many plants when i first got them so i fed zuccine to them while they also ate alage and they did just fine. i have had one die of starvation because it refused to eat zuccine but other then that they all are doing good in my tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store