Still a noob, always a noob? An autodiatribe.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Zebulon

Allergic
May 9, 2007
At the Bottom, gilling rapidly.
My problem is that having a love for fish has caused a desire to keep them as pets. Routinely I find myself questioning 'why keep them if you love them'. It's a conundrum.

Getting into this hobby from a young age, with no good information and plenty of poor habits has caused the suffering and death of my fair share of fish. Maybe more than my fair share. I think many or most people here can relate to gist of this, it isn't a new conversation. I'm not suggesting I'm a murderer, as it wasn't intentional... maybe not even avoidable. But some of my progression certainly came at the cost of the life that I say I respect.

At various milestones in our fishkeeping, after learning a new set of information and techniques, we find ourselves questioning our former practices. What was once a perfectly normal method later seems barbaric or even torturous compared to the new info. This doesn't occur just once, for instance when you first learned what cycling a tank meant, and how to care for your bacterial colonies, but rather it is a cyclical process. For every new discovery, a layer of historical guilt is added to the sediment. Some call it motivation, I don't know what I call it.

It's a process which has caused me to look at what I do now with my tanks and fish with an almost paranoid level of suspicion. By almost paranoid, I mean completely and totally paranoid. I can't help assume some new info is lurking right around the corner which will make me realize, yet again, that my current practices are somehow primative, retarded and cruel to the things I claim to love. Lately I've been battling an infection in two groups of fish; the first illness of any type in my tanks for over 5 years. It has really brought to the surface these thoughts again.

After those early and middle years of hit and miss fishkeeping, mostly without proper knowledge or instruction, I finally become wise enough to keep stable environments where fish live indefinately, without serious issue or illness. In the last 5 years or so my knowledge has increased exponentially as good internet resources have blossomed. The problem with this progression is that it leads me to believe that I'm still wrong, right now. Probably about everything.

So now, everything is a question again. I feel more nubby now than I did at age eleven when I setup my first 10gal 'torture chamber'. All of this together raises the old doubt of whether I am the guardian or the warden of these sweet little creatures. I no longer trust my own opinions about anything (which is where my lamest questions come from). Every step now reminds me of the noob I always was, and reinforces the notion of the noob I will always be.

Somehow I still feel like moving forward and keeping fish, and doing what I can. I still want to expand my knowledge and acquire more tanks and fish, for some sick reason. It is completely selfish to do so, for what appears to be little more than expensive room decoration. The only difference now is that I realize fishkeeping is really about being a good caretaker, and is even more about the human involved than the fish. And, when it comes to caring for delicate life, that aforementioned human still feels like a total noob.

247Plants

Plant Obsessed
Mar 23, 2007
eastside LBC
Hello Zebulon.....

Aquarium keeping and animal husbandry are all relative to any learning curve and as such the hobby has expanded greatly with new understandings of our macrocosms we create. Many of the fish, plants and even styles of tanks these days are grouped into beginner to advanced hobbiests.

Basic fishkeeping starts out with the basics, water quality, fish health, and everything that contributes to those two items. Master those and work on moving into the next step you would like to take. Then continue until you feel you have enough knowledge to feel comfortable taking the next step further and further.

We have all lost fish for reasons that werent part of nature. Dont beat yourself up over it. It happens to the best of us. One guy recently lost thousands of dollars in pleco fry. Im sure he was a pretty advanced aquarist to attempt to have these fish. Not all the fish we receive are in the same health we would find them naturally, which leads to many of the problems we see in our tanks. Not everybody wants to talk about a massacre that happened in their tank.

Think of fishkeeping as a long extended course in biology and research accordingly and you will find that in time you will become more confident in your abilities.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
:iagree:

everybody loses fish. most recently, i lost a bolivian ram to an unknown ailment. he just never ate. i had him for 6 weeks, and he ate nothing i gave him the entire time. i tried everything, live foods, garlic, frozen foods. sometimes these things are out of control. from these experiences, we learn about what we have done and can therfore progress as fishkeepers and as a hobby overall.

way back when, nobody ever did water changes. now we know that they are probably the most important aspect of maintinence of a tank.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
Well, keep in mind that today fishes can live longer and healthier lifespans in a tank than their wild counterparts. So we must be doing SOMETHING right :). Many fish die due to disease and predation in the wild.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store