Breeding Platys and guppies How many tanks do I need?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sweetheart

AC Members
May 31, 2008
MS
Ok so I want do breed platys and guppies. I have a 10 gallon tank with 3 female platys, I don't have guppies yet. Anyways I would like to know how many tanks will I need for the fry and when they grow up. And where can I get the cheapest tanks? Thanks

DooSPX

AC Members
Mar 24, 2008
Florida
wrong forum... sry... try general fw

Inka4040

O_o
Mar 31, 2008
Real Name
The Silver Slanket
Figure, you'll need at least 5 tanks for each line you want to work with. One each for adult males/females, at least 1 fry tank, and growout tanks for male/female fry. The size of the tanks you will need depends largely on the amount of fry/parents you hope to raise/keep. A bunch of 10/15 gallons would be good for a small amount of fish, but bigger is almost always better, at least for the separated growout and adult tanks.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon
get something large for the fry (i know i said 20 in the other thread but this looks more like a large-scale operation), perhaps 55. you can use dividers to divide up strains if you want

give the adults of each strain their own 10 gallon tank. get 1 male and 3 females.

be prepared for hundreds of fry!

pixl8r

MacroShrimpBreeder
May 11, 2007
Utah
Don't forget to add a colony of M. rosenbergii. They will really enjoy eating the guppy/mollie fry. ;) Sorry, I couldn't resist poking a little invertebrate fun into the non invertebrate thread in the invertebrate forum. But then, we all post in the invertebrate, forum, yet we all have backbones?! Well, Msjinkzd doesn't have one, so that's OK that she dominates this forum. :D

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Do you have plans for all the fry?

Are you prepared to cull out the undesirables and the ones you don't/can't sell?

Most and box store has cheapy 10 gal tanks all the time.

sundevil_brian

AC Members
Jun 30, 2007
although not the most aesthetically pleasing option, you could use some rubbermaid storage containers as cheap larger tanks. you could get the clear ones so you could see through the sides.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store