Pelvicachromis taeniatus

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

theubc

AC Members
Jun 7, 2008
I am trying to breed my pair of pelvicachromis taeniatus and I was wondering what I can do to get the process going quicker.

I just put a flower pot in yesterday and they have both been showing signs of mating and what not (female vibrating)

My ph is at 7.0 all the time
and the temp is at 80

theubc

AC Members
Jun 7, 2008
UPDATE::::
my male seems to be just sitting on the bottom of the tank behind the flower pot and he is just breathing
is this normal?!?!?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Hi - bit of homework for you below I'm afraid :D If you can give answers to these we might be able to do a bit more for you :

When you say 'just breathing' do you mean he is 'just barely breathing' or that all he is doing is breathing, i.e. not moving at all ?

How long have you had him & how long has the tank been set up ? Does he usually like to hang out there ? Is he buoyant in the water, as in not settled down on the substrate ?

Can you test your water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate with a good liquid drop test kit and post the results ?

Any chance of a picture ?

Sorry I know nothing about breeding 'em.

edit : oh yeah what size tank ?

Last edited:

theubc

AC Members
Jun 7, 2008
20 gallon long is the tank
He was just sitting on the bottom gravel opening his mouth and breathing a little faster than usual
i think he is fine now he went into the flower pot with the female
Him and the tank have been set up for a little under 10 months probably.
i will work on getting the test kit
and he looks as good as ever but sorry i cant get a pic to show you

thanks for everything!

theubc

AC Members
Jun 7, 2008
so my male is about to die
he is on his side at the top of the tank breathing heavily
my friend that works at a fish store said its because of all the worms he ate his slow metabolism is the reason for this
so i hope he does okay but he might die tonight
any advice?

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Sorry to hear that - it does not sound good for him; are there any marks/strange spots on him etc & can you post a pic ?

What kind of worms did he eat and how much have you been feeding him ? For constipation if you could get him to eat some mushed up peas this can help, equally adding a small amount of epsom salts to the tank can also help (just like with humans). Here is a thread discussing dose http://www.aquariacentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150266&highlight=epsom (approx 1 tablespoon to every 40 litres - which is about 10 US Gallons)

You really need the test kit so you know it is not his water. I would probably do a large water change using a good dechlorinator (Seachem Prime is great) just in case. Without further symptoms it is hard to say what this might be. I'd also turn off the lights in the tank so as to give him as little stress as possible.

theubc

AC Members
Jun 7, 2008
he had the bloat from blood worms (frozen)
im sure its not the water i have a stable ph constantly and all my fish are perfect
even his mate
although she is sad now i think i might be getting a new male soon
thanks anyways there was nothing i could have done though really

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
Sorry again that he's dead. Stable Ph is not the only important parameter. You don't know your water is acceptable without a test kit. One of the first things to do when you have a death is test using a good liquid drop test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

Just because other fish have not demonstrated problems does not mean your water is ok.

Get the test kit. Or you're only ever guessing as to what's going on in there.

theubc

AC Members
Jun 7, 2008
how many times do i need to say my water is clean. i have 12 other fish that were healthy. it died because of eating frozen bloodworms.

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Pelvicachromis species are not not prone to bloat. I wouldn't expect blood worms to cause any problems - small worms like that are a huge part of their natural diet. I've kept and bred P. pulcher several times, and I feed bloodworms weekly and they'll eat a ton of them but I've never lost a krib because of them.

Maybe your water is fine, but you can't tell nitrates simply by looking at it (or ammonia or nitrites). Are those 12 other fish in the same tank with your taeniatus? If so, the tank is likely overstocked which can cause water parameter problems...if not, I apoligize for thinking they're in the same tank.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store