Fish for a 10 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
I'm asking for a 10 gallon for christmas(because there is no room in the house for one bigger than my 30)and I am trying to decide what to put in it if I get it. I really want soem kind of little pair of cichlids or like one cichlid and a few other fish. I saw some congo tatras the other day and I have been thinking on those but not sure. Any ideas? I probabley most want a pair of cons but I would like to have opinions. I have had cons before in a 10 gallon and they did great but im trying to get other options. Thanx in advance and yall have a good day!

firetank

calibration boy
Nov 27, 2002
Visit site
best off opting for a pair of dwarf cichlids methinks -- kribs,apistogramma,rams maybe??

any other cichlids will end up too big in time...

congo tetras grow too big..

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Thanx for the quick reply! Thanx for the info. Ive never kept congo tetras so I didnt know. I do like dwarf rams so maybe Ill look into those. Thanx again.

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Has anybody had any luck breeding differnet color cons? I have thought on maybe breeding a mixed pair. This is what I'm thinking on.

pink + calico
pink + black
black + calico

Which of these would be a good mix to breed. I am htinking if I breed htem then I might be able to seel them to a store near me so I figured I ought to breed some good quality cons. I know I wouldnt get much for them but I got 8 bucks the last time I sold some little black cons and there were only about 25 babies. Well thanks again for the replies. Yall have a good day!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
The shell dwellers seamed pretty neat. But I really wasnt looking into africans. I saw on that info on that site also that these kind of cichlids have to have special water chemicals and slat and stuff. Thanx for reply. I will still think on it. I have kept cons int he past in a 10 gallon and they did fine and my cousin has kept them in a 10 gallon and I have a friend that I got my last pair from and his were in a 10 gallon. I know also that there im sure are several people on hear that keep cons in a 10 gallon. But yes I know that one of the main reasons to keep cons in a bigger tank is os the female can have a better chance to get away from the grumpy male if need be. I will still thank on it though after all I still have like 2 weeks. Thanx alot for yalls replies. Have a good day!

friend of oscar

AC Members
Dec 1, 2001
Visit site
Thanx. I have kept jewel cichlids before or actually one jewel cichlid so not sure if im interested in them but Ill look at some of the other west africans. Oh I found a true jellybean today. It is such a cool little bugger. It is a bloodparrot convict mix(the actual fish that people call jellybeans. It is a male I believe. I would definatly want that one if the store still has it when i go back. It would be cool to breed it back with a female convict.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store