Melon swords growing well, but, growing a little awkward.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
Okay, I'm about to gives up with the melon swords I have..it's because they are making such crappy new leafs lol. There would be VERY long ones and they don't look good and they are red...which is a sign its growing well, but it's the leafs that look odd. Where's that green glow? lol When I first bought it weeks and weeks ago the leaves were pure green, then new leaves came out and doesn't look like regular melon swords.

I'm using eco-complete as my substrate.
I dose regular flourish twice a week.
I recently used up all of my flourish excel. oh no!
My lighting is I around 2.6 wpg

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
i'm not familiar with melon swords but if they are echinodorous variety then its normally down to nutrient deficiency

swords need root tabs with plenty of iron for new leaf growth and can be fussy with calcium and magnesium deficiency
Interesting. Where can I find these root tabs :lipssealedsmilie: lol i go out spendin' again

nickmcmechan

Proudly Scottish
Feb 25, 2007
Edinburgh, Scotland
i'm across the pond but i just type "root tabs" into eBay search and it gives me what's there - again you have reminded me to spend money and i've just gone on and bought API root tabs with extra Iron...most types will do though

the diff between most root tabs is normally how long they last, some will last 3 months, some will last 1 month

NeonFlux

Water agent
Oct 16, 2005
Los Angeles, California
Real Name
William
I have a 60 gallon.
I'm using eco-complete as my substrate. 2 and a half thick of it.
I dose regular flourish twice a week.
I use flourish excel, but I just ran out.
My lighting is I around 2.6 wpg
I'm planning to DIY co2, but I'm hesitating because of the accidents that can happen. Thinking of pressurized co2, but thats going to cost me too much and I can't afford it. So right now, it's just double doses of flourish excel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store