my ghost shrimp keep dying

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

1oooop

int x; if {x>1} {std::cout
Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I got 6 ghost shrimp from petsmart for about 30 cents each and they keep dieing... is there something wrong with my 1 gallon tank? I have snails and they seem fine...

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
I got 6 ghost shrimp from petsmart for about 30 cents each and they keep dieing... is there something wrong with my 1 gallon tank? I have snails and they seem fine...
Give us more info about the tank, test results (ammo, nitrite, nitrate, pH..), temperature, filtration, water change schedule, water treatment...

SubliminalMac

AC Members
Jun 3, 2008
Portland
ghost shrimp seem to be less hardy than fish, and for sure snails in general. Everyone says check PH levels and stuff but really in a one gallon tank, with proper filtration they should be fine.

With that kind of tank you need to be doing a 1/4 water change every week and make sure there is hiding places and cover for those shrimp....if you already have hiding places read the next.

update: make sure you are conditioning your water though, tap is not ok in most places as the chlorine is ridiculous. A conditioner salt and a dechlorifier will suffice.

Shrimp molt, so be sure that you are seeing a carcas and not just the shell of a molting shrimp, once they mold they hide for a few days to a week because there new shell has to harden....its a security thing for them. If they have nothing to hide under they get stressed.

I dont have all the answers and certainly have had my share of issues, but I hope you can take some good out of what I have learned.

Coler

AC Members
Jan 30, 2007
It seems from your other post that you are aware that you have poor water quality, specifically a nitrite spike.

Welcome to AC :) Sorry you're having problems.

Let me just move this into Freshwater Invertebrates for you as we're talking about snails and shrimp.

Last edited:

gmh

AC Members
Feb 5, 2007
Santa Barbara area
Ghost shrimp are pretty fragile, especially if water conditions are not good.
Daily 25% water changes may be in order untill you get ammonia and nitrites down to zero. It's only a one gallon tank so not that much work.
What are you feeding them?

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
I think I did have a spike, I'm just too cheap to buy a water tester(for my 1 gallon tanks)... LOL
I'm feeding them what I think is the worst of food... top fin algae thins
when I had them (less than a day) they'd sometimes touch them but never seemed to eat them... and the snail's are sometimes eating them... at least that's what I think because they are pooping
and yes I am conditioning the water with a wardley 3 in 1 water conditioner

Last edited:

chesterthehero

AC Members
Apr 19, 2008
corona, ca
if youre going to keep fish, you need to be willing to invest the money to get the things you need to take good care of them.

its cheaper to buy a test kit once than to keep replacing everything you own over and over again. quit being dumb and get a test kit

1oooop

Jun 5, 2008
here, there, everywhere
game.uctrl.net
Real Name
Brandon
if youre going to keep fish, you need to be willing to invest the money to get the things you need to take good care of them.

its cheaper to buy a test kit once than to keep replacing everything you own over and over again. quit being dumb and get a test kit
I totally agree... if only petsmart was open now..

emptywallet

another youngling who is clueless
Apr 19, 2008
Ohio
Real Name
David
another thing is that ghost shrimp aren't in the best condition because they are meant to be feeders

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store