algee problem

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

curmet

AC Members
Jun 3, 2008
i got up this morning and have found my sw tank with the bottom coverd in alge
it is spread from the live rock to the marble chip and now going to the glass
it is a 700l tank with 25kg liverock and 50kgs base rock has only been set up for 3 weeks can some one please help also all leves are sitting just fine and is turning over 3000 l per hr
i am just trying to find out how to fix it as some people have told me my protien skimmer is not working fast anouth
thanks alex

Blossom112

AC Members
Feb 25, 2008
Toronto
Normal for a new tank i wouldnt worrie too much .
Make sure you have no dead space adjust powerheads 70gl ,4 to 6 powerheads should do the trick and syphon as much as you can .
And maybe get some algea eaters .
i had the same problem so i got orange spotted sleeper goby's and havent seen and on sand since .
I got the red really bad and adjusted the powerheads and it seems to be better now .and i cut the lights shorter ,and make sure you keep your nitrates down (they eat nitrates)
Good luck!
(im a newbie too)

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
If this is a 700l tank you're gonna need a lot more live rock. 1-2lbs per gallon is generally reccomended for good filtration. You currently have approx 0.3lbs per gallon. The algae is probably just a diatom algae. Is it brown and blows away like dust when you waft it? It's perfectly normal for a new tank and will disappear as the tank matures given proper maintenance.

Matt.

curmet

AC Members
Jun 3, 2008
ok thanks that has taken a wait of my mind what do you mean by cutting the lights does it not have to be on for 10hrs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store