Angels and Corys

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
So I added 4 peppered cory cats to my main tank over the weekend, and have a few questions.

1) Are angels and cory cats compatible? I believe yes, but saw my biggest angel lunge at one of the cory cats. I think it was because the cory was sitting still, but just wanted to be sure.

2) How can I get food past the 3 little pigs? (otherwise known as my angels)

3) I have a 55G, it now has 3 small angels and 4 peppered cory cats, once everything is settled will I be overstocked if I add 4 more peppered cats?

4) Do cory cats filter sand through their gills? I was watching and kept seeing them blowing sand out through them. Just curious.

5) Are the cats easy to sex?

6) Are the cory cats ok in 78F? I keep the tank a little warmer for the angels, but not sure if I should lower it.

After putting the cats into the 55G I noticed one of my angels try to school with the cats (all 4 were swimming together, the angel decided to join in). I also discovered my angels like algae wafers (dropped one in for the cats, they were eating it until an angel came over and decided he wanted it for himself). My angels also now have some competition for food on the bottom! (I constantly see them nose down picking at things off the floor).

Thanks.

Last edited:

rich311k

AC Members
Mar 28, 2005
Long Island, NY
Real Name
Rich
I have corys and angels together no problems.

I throw in shrimp pellets for the corys as the angels are paying attention to the flakes.

You could get more corys. Maybe a school of tetras of some type. Just not neons. No more angels 3 is plenty.

No. It can be done but it is not that easy.

78F is just fine.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
1) Are angels and cory cats compatible? I believe yes, but saw my biggest angel lunge at one of the cory cats. I think it was because the cory was sitting still, but just wanted to be sure.
They are compatible.

2) How can I get food past the 3 little pigs? (otherwise known as my angels)
Any sinking food should do the trick, such as shrimp pellets and sinking wafers.

3) I have a 55G, it now has 3 small angels and 4 peppered cory cats, once everything is settled will I be overstocked if I add 4 more peppered cats?
8 peppered corys is a good number. Then you could add a school of tetras, such as rummy noses, black neons, or lemons.

4) Do cory cats filter sand through their gills? I was watching and kept seeing them blowing sand out through them. Just curious.
It is common for them to expel food and other debris out their gills.

5) Are the cats easy to sex?
Generally, yes, once they are adults. Males are generally smaller with a longer dorsal fin, females are larger all around with a shorter dorsal fin.

6) Are the cory cats ok in 78F? I keep the tank a little warmer for the angels, but not sure if I should lower it.
Peppered corys are subtropical, but they will do well in warmer temps. Mine do well and my tanks temp rises to 82F during the day.

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
Thanks both, something I have noticed is you both mention I could add some tetras. To be honest I am not sure if I want anything other than the angels and corys, but if I were to add tetras how many would I be looking to add? and if no tetras could I add another 6 cory cats and be fine?

Filtration is a whisper 60 and a penguin 100, although I might upgrade eventually.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
Thanks both, something I have noticed is you both mention I could add some tetras. To be honest I am not sure if I want anything other than the angels and corys, but if I were to add tetras how many would I be looking to add? and if no tetras could I add another 6 cory cats and be fine?

Filtration is a whisper 60 and a penguin 100, although I might upgrade eventually.
I have a 55G with 10 adult corys and 3 fry...I'd say the bottom is complete. For the tetras, depending on decor and such, I'd say you could add a maximum of 16 to 18 fish the size of a rummy or black neon.

For my 55G, my intended stocking is:

18 back neons (most likely 12 to 14 now)
10 corys (13 now with the fry)
1 angel
2 to 3 bolivian rams or apistos
2 bulldog plecos

I'll most likely be dropping the number of black neons though because of the amount of driftwood that I currently have.

But yeah, no need to add them, they would just give the tank more action.

jm1212

Pterophyllum scalare
Jul 22, 2006
Chicago
Real Name
Jon

the tank may end up a little "bottom heavy" though.

if you upgraded the Penguin 100 to a 200 or an Emperor 280, you should be fine.

Last edited:

abcdefghi

AC Members
Jun 6, 2007
I think for now I will just stick with 3 angels and 8 cory cats. If at some point in the future I decide I want something more, then will look to add a small school of 8 tetras.

BoredAgain

Cubs in '10
Jan 12, 2008
Denver, CO
the tank may end up a little "bottom heavy" though.

if you upgraded the Penguin 100 to a 200 or an Emperor 280, you should be fine.
Definitely upgrade the 100, those are pointless in my opinion and just got rid of mine on my 28G and replaced it with an AC 50. I'd replace it with an AC 110 or a Penguin 350.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store