Keeping and Breeding Dwarf Puffers????? Help please

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Sweetheart

AC Members
May 31, 2008
MS
I'm probably gonna get some dwarf puffers and I would like to know what do I need for the tank? What decorations do I need? How many water changes should I do a week? how do I breed them? How many eggs do they normally lay? when do the eggs hatch? What do I feed they babies? How many times do I feed the babies and parents a day? Will all the eggs hatch? Will the parents eat the babies? Do the babies need to be separated from the parents? As you can see I would like to know EVERYTHING about dwarf puffers.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
I believe it's in the rules to not bump a thread until it's a day old to avoid people doing it every hour en masse ;) Just a note.

There are captive bred DPs readily avaidable these days- I would suggest getting them. Here is a quote from one website:
" Dwarf puffers are fundamentally difficult to breed. It is amazing that they manage to do it in the wild at all, considering the fact that a male dwarf puffer will see any fish, including female dwarf puffers as a threat. If you buy a pair of dwarf puffers with the expectation becoming a dwarf puffer breeder, then very good luck to you. You'll need it."
from
http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/McKane_Dwarf_Puffers.html

You'll want to make use of this site:
http://dwarfpuffers.com/

And
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/ug.php/v/PufferPedia/Freshwater/C_Travancoricus/
Make use of the library on that site!

Go with the min tank size on the second site.

SchizotypalVamp

The REAL AC Mafia
Mar 18, 2008
California
A quote from an article on the puffer forum
"the popular Dwarf Puffer (Carinotetraodon travancoricus). This Puffer stays small, only reaching 1-1.5 inches. One thing that makes these Puffers unique is that it is easy to determine their gender once they have sexually matured. The males stay smaller and develop a dark brown vertical stripe on their stomachs. Females are usually larger and lack the stripe (Ed note: Males can always be distinguished by their colourful cheek “wrinkle” patterns). If the proper tank is provided (that is, one that supplies at least 2-3 gallons per Puffer), is heavily decorated and has more hideouts than there are Puffers, then keeping 2 or 3 females to one male often works well. In fact, under these circumstances and with proper diet, Dwarf Puffers will often spawn. Dwarf Puffers have been kept successfully with Otocinclus algae eaters. There has also been limited success in keeping Dwarf Puffers with different species of shrimps, such as Amano, Cherry or Ghost shrimp. There is always a risk with shrimp that some Dwarf Puffers will decide that they are food and will eat them."

SpockthePuffer

AC Members
Jan 2, 2008
Pittsburgh
and they aren't brackish, I just noticed where this message is. PM a mod and ask them to move this to general freshwater, where it will also get much more traffic :).
I agree, if you want more feedback you'll need to post in the freshwater area, Dwarf Puffers aren't brackish.

There are puffers that are brackish though that are sometimes mistaken as dwarf puffers, are you sure about what kind of puffer your are buying? Are these your first puffers?

Pufferpunk

AC Members
Mar 22, 2002
Chicago
www.thepufferforum.com
Real Name
Jeni
Between those 3 links, you should have more info than you'll ever need on this species.

groovitudedude

Teen Runner
Feb 22, 2008
Yeah, the puffer forum is where I go to get info on all of my puffers. Very knowledgable in all areas (fw, bw, sw)!

Kaluden

AC Members
Feb 23, 2008
Shakopee, Minnesota
I didnt read the links, but I sat in on a speaker that talked about breeding these, the main thing that I caught from him that I remember on this is to have a load of java moss in the bottom so that they can make nests in it. apparently without java moss they are almost impossible.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store