blue acara chasing convict

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

feylind

AC Members
Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Everywhere ive read says that the convict is an aggressive cichlid but the one ive introduced isnt even defending itself, he just runs away all the time he doesnt even have the sense to hole himself up in a cave and defend the entrance.
and everywhere ive read about the blue acara is that his ment to be an easy going fish but his bullying the convict....im confused.....

my tank is 120cm x 40 x 15cm and theres only the 2 of them in there, i rearranged the rocks and stuff when i introduced the convict and i was hoping the convict might perk up after getting adjusted last night but he hasnt his still being wossey. I also tried to seperate them by putting a divider down the tank but the acara always seems to get around it somehow his just bent on chasing the convict. They are also both similar in size.

does anyone have any suggestions on how they can make peace?

Last edited by a moderator:

Star_Rider

AC Moderators
Dec 21, 2005
Spanaway, Wa.
Real Name
Ed
"120cm x 40 x 15cm "

is this correct? 15cm is just under 6"
this tank is too small for these fish.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
Tanks a bit small for both these fish. convict are normally only aggressive during a spawn or if they are fighting for territory, i have an obsession over convicts.. and i have tons of them, soo are more aggressive then others but one thing ive noticed is that females are more aggressive then males. at least in my tanks they are

dent20

AC Members
Jun 4, 2007
Davenport, IA
Tank size might be it, but don't forget that every cichlid is different. Not every blue acara is going to be docile and sometimes you'll pair up a couple of cichlids that just can't stand each other regardless of size and breed.

nano cichlids

Over ran with EBJD fry
Feb 10, 2008
Clarkston MI
Real Name
Kyle
the tank size is a problem...usually convicts are not too bad except around breeding time...but then its mayhem.
:grinyes: every time my convicts breed i swear all the fish go hide :headshake2:

feylind

AC Members
Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
eep my bad! i was looking at the inches for the width when i measured, wow that would have been very very narrow with 15cm.

my tank is 120cm x 40cm x36cm

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Well, with those measurements that would make it a 55 or 45 gallon tank...which should be big enough for both. What kind of sight breaks do you have? How many caves? Any target types of ditherish fish (swordtails, large tetras, giant danios) do you have? Lots of sight breaks, caves and other fish to attract the cichlid's interest would be good.

Eric

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store