white spots but not white spot

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Neenie

Upgrade has arrived people!!
Jan 19, 2007
Romford, UK
Hi all

Can anyone help... We have a lipstick tang in quarantine at the moment, he's been there 5 weeks. We were going to move him to the main display tank after 4 weeks but noticed two white round spots on his left pectoral fin, these have got slightly bigger but don't seem to be affecting him at all. We have left him quaratine as we don't know what it is, and we've just noticed a very small one on his dorsal fin. He eats like a pig, very alert..

Anyone any ideas please.. there are no other marks or spots anywhere else on his body.

Thanks

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
I agree, if they're growing, it isn't ich. If they're localised to the fins, it could be fin rot but I doubt it. What are the water parameters in the qt like? Pics would be useful.

Matt

Neenie

Jan 19, 2007
Romford, UK
Hi ya
I'll try and get some pics later if he'll stay still long enough.
Water params are all 0, water has a 30% change every week.

edmlfc

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
My porc puffer gets these white spots on her fins from time to time. No one could ever tell me what they were. After a few weeks they just started to decrease and go away. Then later they would come back again. My stars and stripes would also get it. Here is one of the better pictures I have, does yours look something like this?

Neenie

Jan 19, 2007
Romford, UK
Hi ya.. err no not really I can't see whether you Puffa's spots are raised as the ones on my tang are like little bobbles if that makes sense. I'm going to get a picture later so hopefully someone will recognise them.

edmlfc

AC Members
Sep 17, 2007
The spots on mine are not raised. But if it looks like small cauliflower spots I saw an article on that. I just can remember where or what it was called. If I come across it again I'll post it here for you.

Lupin

Registered Member
Sep 21, 2006
Lupin Information Super Highway/Goldfish Informati
thegab.org
Real Name
Paul
The spots on mine are not raised. But if it looks like small cauliflower spots I saw an article on that. I just can remember where or what it was called. If I come across it again I'll post it here for you.
Lymphocystis?

Synonyms:
Cauliflower Disease

Symptoms:
Lethargy, firm globular cysts on the skin which when stroked with a finger feels hard and does not come off, imbalanced swimming position if cysts are located near the lateral line, bacterial infections appear as secondary infection in the later stages eventually killing the fish

Causes:
Viral infection that infests the fish and changes the cells of the mucous membrane. They rapidly increase in size thus allowing them to be seen even with a naked eye. Cells expand at a diameter of 1 mm and takes on the appearance of a cauliflower hence the name "Cauliflower Disease".

The cells continue to grow and eventually explode releasing a million viruses that float into the water and eventually infecting more fish. The disease usually starts around the fin edges and eventually to the base and other parts of the body.

Dyed fish are very vulnerable to this disease as their epidermis has been damaged from being subjected to dyeing processes.

Treatment:
There is no known cure for this disease. It has been suggested however that the afflicted parts can be surgically removed. If spotted in time, the edges of the fins must be cut away with a sharp scissors noting that the disease itself usually starts at the edges of the fins. Treat the fins with medications prescribed to prevent pathogens from infecting them.

Or read this.
http://saltaquarium.about.com/od/saltwaterfishdiseases/a/aalymphocystis.htm

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store