Just a simple question about starting a pico tank.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
I have been keeping aquarium fish for about 25 years now and have had all sorts of tanks from fresh to saltwater, my question is. I was at the LFS here in south east Ohio and was looking at a 6 gallon pico or nano saltwater setup. They seem to me to be really neat!! it was a 6 gallon tank and the only think they had in it was some really neat looking live rock, some live sand and a few anemones, with a few blue leg hermit crabs and a baby chocolate chip star fish. my question is what kind of filtration is best for somthing like that??? and how would you run a protein skimmer in a tank that small????

sharkmatt

AC Members
Dec 17, 2004
You may struggle to find a protein skimmer to fit a 6g unless you run a sump and utilise a skimmer there. Filtration would be live rock for biological and maybe a small sponge filter for mechanical. The biggest challenge in a tank this small is keeping parameters stable. Due to the small volume, nano/pico tanks are suscetible to massive swings in pH, alk, salinity etc if not well maintained. The best way to increase the stability and keep the tank clean is to perform numerous small water changes, I would say two 25% changes every week. The beauty of a small tank is water changes are cheap, quick and easy. I personally wouldn't use any filtration other than live rock, water changes and good water movement from powerheads in a tank this size.

On another point, the ccolate chip wouldn't last long in a tank this size, WAY too small. Also, I can't think of any anemones (other than pest anemones) that I would reccomend keeping in a nano tank. Nems generally require a large, mature and stable system.

Hope that helps.

Matt.

jenjen2008

It followed me home, can I keep it?
May 28, 2008
So Cal
I agree with Matt. I have a 14g nano and that has been a challenge to keep stable. I am not saying it can't be done. I would just choose more forgiving animals to put in it. You could probably do a mushroom garden with some hermits. I have been amazed at how durable my mushrooms are.

No doubt a well planned pico can be quite breathtaking. I wish you luck and keep us updated!

OhioOilMan

AC Members
Mar 1, 2008
Portsmouth Ohio
Real Name
Ryan Lore
Thanks yall for the info! If I do decide to go with something like this trust me I will be asking for advice often lol.... thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store